Hockey Live Blog vs. Nebraska-Omaha - 6:45 p.m.
• Western Michigan trailed 2-1 heading into the third period but for the second-straight game gave up three unanswered goals in the third period and fell to Nebraska-Omaha 5-1. Chase Balisy scored the lone goal for WMU towards the end of the second period but Josh Archibald and Austin Ortega each tallied early in the third period to push UNO’s lead to 4-1 before Jake Guentzel added an empty-net goal in the final minutes.
QUICK HITS - NOTES FROM LAST NIGHT
• TROUBLE AT HOME: Last night was WMU’s third-straight loss at home. In the three losses the Broncos have been outscored 13-4. Overall the Broncos are just 5-7-1 at Lawson Ice Arena this season after going 13-4-3 last season.
• UNANSWERED: Two consecutive games now have saw the Broncos give up three unanswered goals in the third period. Last Saturday the Broncos took a 0-0 tie into the third period at Colorado College but then gave up three goals to lose 3-1. Last night WMU trailed just 2-1 heading into the third before giving up another three goals.
• OUTSHOT BUT OUTSCORED: Last night the Broncos outshot the Mavericks 33-26. It was the 12th time that WMU has outshot an opponent but the team holds a 3-6-3 record when recording more shots.
• NOT MIAMI: Freshman defenseman Taylor Fleming tallied his fourth assist of the season and fifth career point last night. It was the first time he had scored a point against a team other than Miami. Fleming’s previous goal and three assists all came in four games against the RedHawks.