CCHA Quarterfinals Live Blog vs Michigan - 6:45 p.m.
Western Michigan dropped game one of the CCHA Quarterfinals to Michigan, 4-3. Michigan took a 2-0 lead into the second period before the Broncos exploded for three goals to take a tie game into the third period.
Michigan’s Jacob Trouba netted the game-winner on the power play midway through the third period and the Broncos were unable to respond. WMU picked up goals from Chase Balisy, Colton Hargrove and Josh Pitt in the loss.
QUICK HITS - NOTES FROM LAST NIGHT
LAST NIGHT WAS THE FIRST....
• Time the Broncos have lost back-to-back games this season.
• Loss for Western Michigan in the CCHA Playoffs under head coach Andy Murray.
• First career postseason goals for Colton Hargrove and Josh Pitt.
LAST NIGHT WAS THE....
• Fifth time the Broncos were outshot at home.
• Lowest shots on goal output for the Broncos at home with 18 and the third-fewest this season.
FACING ELIMINATION AT HOME
• The last two times the Broncos have face in Kalamazoo they have come away winning the series. In 2011 the Broncos dropped game one when hosting Ferris State in the CCHA Quarterfinals 3-1. WMU responded with a 3-1 win and then a 5-4 win in overtime to advance. In 2009 the Broncos hosted Lake Superior State in the first round and fell in game one 6-3. They responded with a 4-3 win in double-overtime and then a 3-1 win the clinch the series.
• The Broncos are 7-5 all-time in elimination games in
• Freshman Colton Hargrove netted his eighth goal of the season in last night’s loss. Four of Hargrove’s eight goals have come against the University of Michigan.