WMU Hockey vs Miami Live Blog - 6:45 p.m.
Please note that tonight's radio broadcast will be on 590 AM in the Kalamazoo area. A live stream can be found here: http://wkzo.com/western-michigan-hockey/
Frank Slubowski was perfect in net with 32 saves as Western Michigan shutout No. 3 MIami 2-0 in front of a sellout crowd at Lawson Ice Arena.
The Broncos picked up goals from Jordan Oesterle and Chase Balisy in the win. WMU earned their fourth shutout this season despite being outshot 32-23. Western Michigan also shut down the RedHawks on all five of their power play opportunities, with Slubowski making 12 saves while down a man.
QUICK HITS - NOTES FROM LAST NIGHT
• PENALTY SHOT: For the second time this season WMU was awarded a penalty shot and for the second time this season they were unable to convert. The Broncos were awarded the shot after Miami’s Joe Hartman closed his hand on the puck in the crease. Mike Leone’s attemtp was saved by Miami’s Jay Williams. The previous penalty shot was by Nolan LaPorte on Oct. 20 against Canisius after he was taken down during a breakaway. WMU’s last successful penalty shot came on Oct. 23, 2009 when Cam Watson netted a goal against Alabama-Huntsville.
• 14 Straight: Since dropping their season and home opener against St. Lawrence the Broncos are now undefeated in 14 straight home games with a 13-0-1 record.
• SNAPPED: Western Michigan snapped their four-game penalty kill slide after holding Miami scoreless on five power plays. Previously the Broncos had surrendered a power play goal in each of the last four games. WMU’s PK is also 14-for-15 in its last two games.
• FOUR IN A ROW: WMU’s power play has now netted a goal in each of the last four games with five goals total during the stretch. This is the third time this season the Broncos have had a power play stretch with at least four games straight with a goal.
• HE SHOOTS, HE SCORES, WMU WINS: Western Michigan is now 5-0-0 all-time when Jordan Oesterle scores a goal. Oesterle has scored five goals in his career and netted his third of the season last night.