Article Image
Frank Slubowski made 32 saves to earn his fourth shutout of the season.
Courtesy: GS Photo

Broncos Blank RedHawks, 2-0

Courtesy: WMU
Release: 02/08/2013
Print RSS
KALAMAZOO -- Western Michigan goalie Frank Slubowski made 32 saves as the Broncos shutout No. 3 Miami, 2-0, in front of a sellout crowd of 3,832 fans at Lawson Ice Arena on Friday night.

Slubowski stopped everything Miami threw at him, including 12 saves on five RedHawk power plays, to earn his fourth shutout of the season and seventh of his career. WMU (18-6-5, 14-4-3-1 CCHA) reclaimed first place in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association with the help on goals by Jordan Oesterle and Chase Balisy. Balisy extended an assist streak to three-straight games and also tallied his ninth goal of the season.

The Bronco defense also blocked 17 shots on the night with senior defenseman Luke Witkowski leading the team with four.

Western Michigan took an early 1-0 lead at 3:31 in the first period on Oesterle’s third of the season. Balisy won the draw to Dane Walters and Walters passed it back to Oesterle. The sophomore defensemen skated to the center point and fired a low shot into the left corner of the net. The assist was Balisy’s 13th on the season and Walters’ 10th to push his team-leading point total to 22.

During the second period the Broncos had a chance to push the lead to 2-0 on a penalty shot by Mike Leone. WMU was awarded the shot after Joe Hartman closed his hand on the puck on in the crease to prevent it from going into the net. Leone tried to go glove side with back-hand attempt but Miami goalie Jay Williams made the save.

The Broncos started off the third period with a four-on-three power play after Curtis McKenzie took a penalty for roughing after the whistle at the end of the second period. Balisy capitalized to give WMU a 2-0 lead after he banked in a shot from the bottom of the right circle off of Williams’ shoulder. Dan DeKeyser and Kenney Morrison each tallied assists on the goal.

WMU held on despite being outshot 13-6 in the third period and 32-23 in the game. The two teams battle it out again on Saturday night at 7:05 p.m.