WMU vs. Canisius Live Blog - 6:45 p.m.
RADIO: Please note that due to the WMU football game at Kent State, live radio coverage of the hockey game will not begin until midway through the first period. Those who are watching via Bronco Insider will have live play-by-play from Kory Lee.
Western Michigan blanked Canisius 3-0 to earn their first shutout of the season and second-striaght win of the season. The Broncos picked up goals from Josh Pitt, Jordan Oesterle and Mike Cichy each tallied goals while Frank Slubowski made 21 saves to pick up his fourth career shutout. Pitt and Cichy each had an assist to go along with their goals.
QUICK HITS - NOTES AND TRENDS FROM LAST NIGHT
• PPG: The Broncos now have three players averaging at least one point per game through the first three games of the season. Defenseman Garrett Haar has three points on two goals and one assist, Josh Pitt has a goal and two assists and Mike Cichy has a goal and three assists.
• MULTIS: Mike Cichy currently has a two-game multi-point game streak going. Last Saturday he tallied two assists in WMU’s 3-2 win over St. Lawrence and last night he had a goal and an assist. Josh Pitt notched his first career multi-point game in last night’s win as well.
• 693: It had been 693 days since Mike Cichy last netted a goal in a college hockey game. His last goal had come on Nov. 26, 2010 for North Dakota against Notre Dame.
• HALF WAY THERE: Last night was Frank Slubowski’s fourth career shutout. He is now just four off of the program record of eight set by former Bronco Riley Gill.
• OFFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN: So far this season WMU’s defensemen have accounted for four of the team’s nine goals and seven of the team’s 18 assists.