Broncos Close Road Swing at Duquesne
Western Michigan Broncos (7-3) at Duquesne Dukes (6-5)
Wednesday, December 19 // 7:02 p.m.
Pittsburgh, Pa. // A.J. Palumbo Center
Broncos lead series 1-0
Radio • Bronco Radio Network
Announcers • Sean Fagan
Stations • WKZO - 96.5 FM: (Flagship) Kalamazoo, Portage, Mattawan; WMAX - 96.1 FM: Grand Rapids, Holland, Muskegon; WVIC - 94.1 FM: Lansing, Jackson, Battle Creek
Broadcast • Pre-game show begins at 6:30 p.m.
Television • NBC Sports Network
Talent • Dave Strader & Dave Kaplan
For the television broadcast of the game, check your cable listings for NBC Sports Network (formerly known as Versus)
• This will be the second all-time meeting between the two teams, with Western Michigan holding a 1-0 advantage in the series
• The Broncos defeated the Dukes in their only previous meeting, an 85-71 win at University Arena last season
• The Broncos are 10-20 all-time against opponents currently in the Atlantic 10 conference
• Western Michigan is 3-5 against current members of the Atlantic 10 conference under head coach Steve Hawkins
• Brandon Pokley scored what his still his career-high with 16 points in last season's win over the Dukes
• The Broncos received 20 votes in this week's CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 poll, 16 more than they did last week
• Darius Paul leads all freshmen in the MAC in scoring (11.6 ppg) and rebounding (6.9 rpg)
• This game represents the fourth of a stretch in which the Broncos will play six of seven on the road, and the last leg of a four-game road swing that saw them play at Michigan, at Illinois State, and at High Point
• The Broncos have already won more games away from University Arena (four) than they did all of last season
• Darius Paul has scored in double-digits in nine consecutive games, the first Bronco freshman to do so since Ben Reed scored in double-digits in 13 consecutive games during the 2001-02 season
• Darius Paul recorded his second career double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds at High Point, and has two in his last three games
• The Broncos have recorded double-doubles in three consecutive games, two from Darius Paul and one from Nate Hutcheson; the last time the Broncos received three straight double-double performances came in the 2009-10 season
• Shayne Whittington is ranked third in the MAC West and 10th in the conference overall on John Hollinger's Player Efficiency Ratings; teammate Darius Paul rates as 12th and fourth, respectively
• Connar Tava set career-highs with eight points and eight rebounds in the win at High Point
• Nate Hutcheson is averaging 17.0 points per game in his last two contests
• The Broncos lead the Mid-American Conference in rebounding margin at +8.3
HAWKINS VS. THE ATLANTIC 10
Overall, Western Michigan has squared off with current members of the Atlantic 10 conference 30 times in program history, with the Broncos trailing those teams 10-20 in the all-time series. Things have evened up in the time that Steve Hawkins has been head coach of the Broncos, however; Western Michigan is 3-5 against A-10 opponents, including winning records against Duquesne and Fordham, and a 1-1 record against VCU.
BRONCOS vS. THE DUKES
This will be the second meeting between the Broncos and the Dukes, with Western Michigan holding a 1-0 advantage in the all-time series. The only previous meeting between the two teams came last season, when the Broncos defeated the Dukes 85-71 at University Arena. Brandon Pokley set a career-high of 16 points in that game.
BRONCOS RECEIVE VOTES IN COLLEGE INSIDER POLL
The Broncos received 20 votes in the most recent CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 poll, 16 more than they did in the previous week's poll. The Broncos are currently slated to face five teams that are either ranked or receiving votes on this week's poll.
Darius Paul has made a name for himself throughout the conference as an impact player early in his career, and is currently among the league leaders in scoring and rebounds. Paul ranks first among conference freshmen in scoring (11.6 ppg) and rebounds (6.9 rpg).
KEEP IT ROLLING
Darius Paul tied Shayne Whittington for the team lead in double-doubles in the Broncos' victory over High Point, recording 10 points and 10 rebounds for his second career double-double, and second in a three-game span. All told, a Bronco has recorded a double-double in three consecutive games (Darius Paul at Michigan, Nate Hutcheson at Illinois State, Paul at High Point). The last time the Broncos had double-double performances in three consecutive games came in the 2009-10 season (Donald Lawson vs. Northeastern, Donald Lawson vs. College of Charleston, Martelle McLemore vs. Sam Houston State).
The Broncos have shown this season that they are as comfortable on the road as they are in the friendly confines of University Arena. Half of the Broncos' seven wins this season have come away from home, including two neutral site victories and two true road wins. The total of four wins away from home already surpasses last year's total of three.