Broncos Continue Road Swing at High Point
Western Michigan Broncos (6-3) at High Point Panthers (4-4)
Sunday, December 16 // 3 p.m.
High Point, N.C. // Millis Athletics & Convocation Center
WMU leads series 1-0 // First meeting in High Point, N.C.
Radio • Bronco Radio Network
Announcers • Sean Fagan
Stations • WKZO - 96.5 FM: (Flagship) Kalamazoo, Portage, Mattawan; WMAX - 96.1 FM: Grand Rapids, Holland, Muskegon; WVIC - 94.1 FM: Lansing, Jackson, Battle Creek
Broadcast • Pre-game show begins at 2:30 p.m.
• This will be the second all-time meeting between the two teams, with Western Michigan holding a 1-0 advantage in the series
• The Broncos defeated the Panthers 54-53 in their only previous meeting, held earlier this season at University Arena
• The Broncos are 5-1 all-time in games against the Big South Conference; head coach Steve Hawkins boasts a perfect 3-0 mark against the conference, with two wins against Winthrop and one against High Point
• In the last meeting between these two teams, Austin Richie hit a lay-up with five seconds remaining to give the Broncos the win
• The Broncos received four votes in this week's CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 poll
• Western Michigan is one of only two teams to rank in the top-five in the MAC in scoring offense, scoring defense, and scoring margin (Ohio is the other)
• This game represents the third of a stretch in which the Broncos will play six of seven on the road
• This game is the second half of a non-conference home-and-home series with the Panthers, the first since the Broncos and the Milwaukee Panthers swapped dates during the 2001-02 season
• Darius Paul has scored in double-digits in eight consecutive games, the first Bronco freshman to do so since Ben Reed scored in double-digits in 13 consecutive games during the 2001-02 season
• Nate Hutcheson recorded his first career double-double in the game against the Redbirds, notching 15 points and 10 rebounds
• The Broncos have recorded double-doubles in back-to-back games twice in 2012-13
• Darius Paul and Shayne Whittington rank fifth and sixth, respectively, in the MAC West in Player Efficiency Rating, according to ESPN.com's John Hollinger
• Brandon Pokley has more double-digit scoring nights this season (six) than he did in his previous three seasons combined (two)
• The Broncos lead the Mid-American Conference in rebounding margin at +6.2
• After this game, the Broncos will proceed directly to Pittsburgh for their game at Duquesne
HAWKINS VS. THE BIG SOUTH
Western Michigan and the Big South Conference have not tangled much in the past, but the Broncos' few experiences with the conference have been mostly positive. The Broncos enter the game against the Panthers with a 5-1 all-time record against the conference, including a win earlier this season against High Point, 1-1 record against Liberty, a win over the Virginia Military Institute, and 2-0 record against Winthrop. The Broncos have a 3-0 record against the Big South under Hawkins, with two wins over Winthrop and one over High Point.
BRONCOS vS. THE PANTHERS
This will be the second meeting between the Broncos and the Panthers, with Western Michigan owning a 1-0 advantage in the all-time series. The first game in the series came just a few weeks ago, when the Broncos hosted the Panthers at University Arena to kick off a rare in-season non-conference home-and-home series. the Broncos defeated the Panthers 54-53 on a last-second reverse lay-up from Austin Richie.
BRONCOS RECEIVE VOTES IN COLLEGE INSIDER POLL
The Broncos received four votes in the most recent CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 poll. The Broncos are currently slated to face six teams that are either ranked or receiving votes on this week's poll.
HUTCH DOUBLES DOWN
It's hard to believe that a player as accomplished as Nate Hutcheson had not recorded a double-double in the first 106 games of his career, but the senior wing finally broke through in Game No. 107. Hutcheson recorded 15 poins and 10 rebounds at Illinois State for his first career double-double.