Broncos Open Home Schedule Against Marygrove
Western Michigan Broncos vs. Marygrove Mustangs
Tuesday, November 13 // 7 p.m.
Kalamazoo, Mich. // University Arena
First meeting between the two teams
Radio // Bronco Radio Network
Announcers // Robin Hook
Stations // WKZO - 96.5 FM: (Flagship) Kalamazoo, Portage, Mattawan; WMAX - 96.1 FM: Grand Rapids, Holland, Muskegon; WVIC - 94.1 FM: Lansing, Jackson, Battle Creek
Broadcast // Pre-game show begins at 6:30 p.m.
Stream // Bronco Insider
• This will be the first-ever meeting between Western Michigan and Marygrove
• Shayne Whittington recorded his second career double-double in the Broncos' loss at Cornell, recording 15 points and a career-high tying 13 rebounds
• Five freshman Broncos made their collegiate debuts against Cornell
• Jared Klein notched 12 points and a five steals in his collegiate debut against Cornell
• Darius Paul had eight points, three rebounds, and two assists at Cornell
• Tonight will be the 2012-13 home opener for the Broncos; the Broncos are 8-1 in the previous nine home openers under head coach Steve Hawkins
• Steve Hawkins has 159 career wins, which ranks second among WMU head coaches in program history
• Austin Richie averaged 5.6 points per game as a freshman in 2011-12, but averaged 9.4 points per game in his eight starts that season
• WMU head coach Steve Hawkins has won five MAC West titles in the previous nine seasons at the reins of the program
• The Broncos welcome eight freshmen to their ranks in 2012-13, the most they have had on the roster since the start of the 2008-09 season
HAWK VS. THE MUSTANGS
This will be the very first meeting between the Broncos and Marygrove of the NAIA. However, there is at least one Western Michigan tie on the Mustangs. Marygrove athletic director and head men's basketball coach Dave Sichterman is a Western Michigan graduate, and was an offensive lineman on the Broncos' 1988 MAC Championship team.
OWN THE PAINT
Shayne Whittington imposed his will in the paint against the Cornell Big Red in the opening game of the season, recording his second career double-double and first of the season. Whittington finished the game with 15 points and a career-high tying 13 rebounds against Cornell, and also drew five fouls over the course of the game.
Freshman Jared Klein made his collegiate debut in style against Cornell, recording 12 points and five steals off the bench. Klein played 29 total minutes for the Broncos, including crucial minutes down the stretch.