ITHACA, N.Y. - Junior Shayne Whittington posted a double-double of 15 points and 13 rebounds, but the Western Michigan men's basketball team struggled offensively against a good Cornell squad, as the Big Red defeated the Broncos 63-55 on Saturday. With the loss, the Broncos fall to 0-1 on the season.

Whittington acted as a steadying influence on the young Bronco squad, controlling the paint for a double-double. Whittington was especially effective in his ability to use his size advantage against the Big Red's frontcourt; he drew a number of fouls over the course of the game, and finished with a 7 of 10 performance from the foul line. Freshman guard Jared Klein also broke double-digits in scoring, recording 12 points in his regular season debut.

The Broncos were the victim of tough defensive effort from Cornell; the Big Red recorded 13 blocks, contributing to the Broncos' 17 of 56 shooting night. WMU was good from the free throw line, going 18 of 25 for a 72.0 shooting percentage.

The first half was a rollercoaster of pace, as the two teams alternated between high-tempo attacks and more deliberate half-court sets. The Broncos took a four-point lead to start the game, with Whittington starting the team off with a pair of free throws, and Austin Richie scoring a lay-up on a slick bounce pass from Darius Paul at the 17:13 mark. Cornell responded with a 16-3 run to take the lead, but Brandon Pokley drained a three-pointerfrom the wing to break the momentum and cut the lead to six points.

Paul made a pair of free throws at 8:22 in the first to make it a six-point game, and Klein nailed a three 20 seconds later to slice the lead down to three points. Paul would score the last of his six first-half points on two possessions to end the half, scoring a lay-up at 3:47 to make it 26-22, and putting back his own missed shot on a tip-in at 3:13 remaining in the half. The teams entered the locker room with Cornell leading 26-24.

Paul capped his personal 8-0 run for the Broncos at the beginning of the half, scoring on a lay-up on WMU's first offensive possession to cut Cornell's lead to just 27-26. That would be the closest the Broncos would get for the remainder of the game, however, as the Big Red's Nolan Cressler made a series of three-pointers from around the perimeteto keep the Broncos at bay. Klein recorded a triple of his own at the 14:44 mark to make the score 35-31, but the Big Red would expand the lead to 11 points, and held a double-digit lead until late in the half.

The Broncos made one more push, however, coming back from 12 points down at 5:15 to pull within two possessions in the final minute. Klein drove to the hoop and drew a foul from Eitan Chemerinski, making a pair of free throws to make it 59-55 with 30 seconds remaining. However, the Big Red were able to just barely thwart the Broncos' press on the ensuing possession, and ultimately made a pair of free throws with 22 seconds remaining to ice the game.