Broncos Tripped Up 6-1 at Akron
STOW, Ohio - The Western Michigan women's tennis team opened up Mid-American Conference play against Akron on Friday, falling 6-1 to the Zips at LaTuchie Tennis Center in Stow. With the loss, the Broncos fall to 7-9 overall, 0-1 in MAC in play. The Zips improve to 11-3 overall, 1-0 in MAC play.
The Broncos were unable to take the doubles point, but they were able to take one of the three doubles matches from the Zips to open the match. The duo of Jill Pastunink and Maggie Remynse defeated Jeremie Benjamin and Anya Baronayte 8-6 in the No. 3 doubles match, giving WMU some momentum as they entered singles play.
In singles play, reigning MAC Player of the Week Rachel Denny continued her roll by defeating Natalia Kuvakina 6-2, 6-3 in the No. 6 singles match; it is the fourth consecutive singles win for Denny and sixth win in her last eight matches. Nini Sujashvili posted a spirited match against Akron's Zara Harutyunyan, forcing a tiebreaker in the first set before ultimately falling 7-6 (4), 6-2.
The Broncos will be back in action tomorrow when they take on the Buffalo Bulls.
2. #27 Harutyunyan/Angelina Jogasuria def. Sujashvili/Maria Nivia 8-3
3. Pastunink/Remynse def. Benjamin/Baronayte 8-6
1. Harutyunyan def. Sujashvili 7-6 (4), 6-2
2. Angelina Jogasuria def. Remynse 6-3, 6-4
3. Angelika Jogasuria def. Pastunink 6-1, 6-2
4. Pantusart def. Nivia 6-3, 6-0
5. Baronayte def. Moccia 6-4, 6-0
6. Denny def. Kuvakina 6-2, 6-3