Broncos Fall 4-0 at Texas A&M - Corpus Christi
CORPUS Christi, Texas - The Western Michigan men's tennis team concluded its weekend at the 48th annual HEB Tournament of Champions on Saturday, falling 4-0 to the hosting Texas A&M - Corpus Christi Islanders at the Thomas J. Henry Tennis Center. With the loss, the Broncos fall to 8-8 on the season.
The Islanders took four singles matches to clinch the victory, rendering the doubles session moot as WMU was unable to split with with Corpus Christi. Peter Nagy defeated Nadin Indre in the No. 1 singles match in straight sets, winning 6-2, 6-2, and Javier Pujol downed Jimmy Beckwith 6-1, 6-1 in the No. 4 singles match. Philip Kuehnen picked up the final two-set win with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Matt Hamilton in the No. 6 singles match, and Ruben Greiner was forced to retire from the No. 2 singles match against Ricardo Mayagoitia to complete the scoring. Andrew Cahn had the best outing for the Broncos, taking the first set against Guillaume Rauseo 6-4 in the No. 3 singles match; the two players were tied at 3-3 at the time the match was clinched.
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 4, Western Michigan 0
1. Peter Nagy (AMCC) def. Nadin Indre (WMU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Ricardo Mayagoitia (AMCC) def. Ruben Greiner (WMU) 6-2, 2-1, retired
3. Guillaume Rauseo (AMCC) vs. Andrew Cahn (WMU) 4-6, 3-3, unfinished
4. Javier Pujol (AMCC) def. Jimmy Beckwith (WMU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Paul Cook (AMCC) vs. Michael Treis (WMU) 6-4, 4-1, unfinished
6. Philip Kuehnen (AMCC) def. Matt Hamilton (WMU) 6-2, 6-0
1. Nadin Indre/Stephen Payne (WMU) vs. Peter Nagy/Guillaume Rauseo (AMCC) no result
2. Michael Treis/Andrew Cahn (WMU) vs. Matt Westmoreland/Paul Cook (AMCC) no result
3. Ruben Greiner/Jimmy Beckwith (WMU) vs. Philip Kuehnen/Ricardo Mayagoitia (AMCC) no result