Broncos Take Split in Doubleheader at HEB Invite
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - The Western Michigan men's tennis team earned a big split on the first day of the 48th annual HEB Tournament of Champions, falling to Southern Methodist by a 4-1 score before taking a dramatic 4-3 decision against Texas-San Antonio in the nightcap. With the split, the Bronco record moves to 8-6 on the season.
The Broncos bounced back from an early loss to the Mustangs by winning a tight one with the Roadrunners later in the day, splitting the singles session with UTSA before winning the doubles point; the No. 2 doubles pairing of Jimmy Beckwith and Ruben Greiner provided the clinching victory, defeating Yannick Junger and Boburjon Kamiljanov 8-2 to provide the Broncos the 4-3 win.
Freshman Matt Hamilton went 2-0 in singles on the day for the Broncos, starting with a win in the No. 5 singles against the Mustangs' Arkidjas Slobodkins. Hamilton provided the only point of that match for the Broncos by notching a straight-sets win over Slobodkins, winning 6-3, 7-5 to provide the point for the Broncos. Hamilton was one of three Broncos to win in the singles session against the Roadrunners as well, beating Harley Pearson 6-3, 6-4 in the No. 5 singles match.
Nadin Indre was also part of the split singles effort against UTSA, beating Junger in No. 1 singles to snap a modest two-match losing skid. Indre picked up a break on Junger in each set en route to a 6-4, 6-3 win. Pablo Mora completed the scoring for the Broncos in the singles session against the Roadrunners with a three-set win over Kamiljanov in the No. 6 singles match, bouncing back from a second-set loss to win 6-4, 1-6, 7-5.
The doubles team of Matt Hamilton and Michael Treis were the first to strike in the doubles session against the Roadrunners, beating Diogo Casa and Fabian Brand 8-5. UTSA picked up a win in the No. 1 doubles match to keep things even, but Beckwith and Greiner held on for a big 8-2 win to give the Broncos the doubles point and the match.
SMU 4, Western Michigan 1
1. Arturs Kazijevs (SMU) def. Nadin Indre (WMU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Ruben Greiner (WMU) vs. Mischa Nowicki (SMU) 4-6, 6-4, 5-0
3. Alex Sanders (SMU) def. Andrew Cahn (WMU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Jimmy Beckwith (WMU) vs. Tony Russell (SMU) 6-4, 5-7, 0-2
5. Matt Hamilton (WMU) def. Arkidjas Slobodkins (SMU) 6-3, 7-5
6. Nate Lammons (SMU) def. Stephen Payne (WMU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Arturs Kazijevs/Mischa Nowicki (SMU) def. Stephen Payne/Nadin Indre (WMU) 8-2
2. Alex Sanders/Nate Lammons (SMU) def. Michael Treis/Andrew Cahn (WMU) 8-4
3. Ruben Greiner/Jimmy Beckwith (WMU) vs. Tony Russell/Arkidjas Slobodkins (SMU) 7-6
Western Michigan 4, UTSA 3
1. Nadin Indre (WMU) def. Yannick Junger (UTSA) 6-4, 6-3
2. Tomas Stillman (UTSA) def. Ruben Greiner (WMU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Andrew Cahn (WMU) 7-5, 3-6, 6-1
4. Diogo Casa (UTSA) def. Jimmy Beckwith (WMU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Matt Hamilton (WMU) def. Harley Pearson (UTSA) 6-3, 6-4
6. Pablo Mora (WMU) def. Boburjon Kamiljanov (UTSA) 6-4, 1-6, 7-5
1. Joel Rubio/Tomas Stillman (UTSA) def. Stephen Payne/Nadin Indre (WMU) 8-6
2. Jimmy Beckwith/Ruben Greiner (WMU) def. Yannick Junger/Boburjon Kamiljanov (UTSA) 8-2
3. Michael Treis/Matt Hamilton (WMU) def. Diogo Casa/Fabian Brand (UTSA) 8-5