Broncos Finish Season on High Note With 6-1 Win
TOLEDO, Ohio - The Western Michigan men's tennis team salvaged a win on the final day of the 2014 regular season, defeating the Toledo Rockets 6-1 in a match played on the road on Saturday. With the win, the Broncos finish thier season with a 13-11 record, 1-3 in Mid-American Conference play.
WMU opened the day with a sweep in doubles play, taking the Nos. 2 and 3 doubles matches from the Rockets en route to a session victory. The doubles team of Andrew Cahn and Stephen Payne defeated Mark Singnil and Nickey Wong by an 8-5 score to take the advantage in the doubles session, and the duo of Matt Hamilton and Michael Treis closed things out a dominant 8-4 win over Ryan Jorgensen and Roberta Meza as WMU took the extra point in the session.
The Broncos went on to win five of the six singles matches on the day, with Ruben Greiner snapping a personal cold streak with a straight-sets win over Singnil. Greiner was in control from the outset, defeating Singnil 6-4, 6-1 in the No. 2 singles match. Matt Hamilton extended his winning streak to eight matches, dowining Meza 7-5, 6-2 in the No. 4 singles match. Michael Treis defeating Garrett Cona 6-1, 6-4 in the No. 5 singles match, and Pablo Mora wrapped the total of straight-sets wins with a 7-6, 6-3 win over Ben Brocker at the No. 6 position. Andrew Cahn won the only three-setter of the day, bouncing back from a first set loss to beat Wong 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10) at the No. 3 singles position.
Western Michigan 6, TOLEDO 1
1. Sisko (TOL) def. Indre (WMU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Greiner (WMU) def. Singnil (TOL) 6-4, 6-1
3. Cahn (WMU) def. Wong (TOL) 2-6, 6-4, 12-10
4. Hamilton (WMU) def. Meza (TOL) 7-5, 6-2
5. Treis (WMU) def. Cona (TOL) 6-1, 6-4
6. Mora (WMU) def. Brocker (TOL) 7-6, 6-3
1. Greiner/Indre (WMU) vs. Cona/Sisko (TOL) 6-6, unfinished
2. Cahn/Payne (WMU) def. Singnil/Wong (TOL) 8-5
3. Hamilton/Treis (WMU) def. Jorgensen/Meza (TOL) 8-4
Western Michigan 13-11 (1-3 MAC)
Toledo 9-17 (2-2 MAC)