Cardinals Edge Out Broncos by 4-3 Score
Matt Hamilton went a perfect 2-0 on the day, helping to clinch the doubles point against the Cardinals with a win in the No. 3 doubles match and tying the overall match at 3-3 with a three-set singles win in the No. 4 match. Nadin Indre also collected a singles win, but it was not enough as the Cardinals won four of six in the singles session for the win.
The doubles pairing of Andrew Cahn and Stephen Payne opened the afternoon with a win at No. 2 doubles, taking down the duo of Patrick Elliott by an 8-5 score. BSU countered with a win at the No. 1 doubles match, with Ray Leonard and Austin Smith beating Indre and Ruben Greiner by an 8-5 score to tie the session. WMU emerged victorious with a tiebreaker win at No. 3 doubles, though, with Hamilton and Michael Treis outlasting Matt Helm and Lucas Andersen 7-3 in the tiebreaker to win 8-7 (3).
Indre notched the first win of the singles session, taking down the Cardinals’ Ray Leonard 6-2, 6-4 in the No. 1 singles match to give WMU a 2-0 match lead. The Cardinals won the next three points of the match to take a 3-2 lead, but Hamilton survived a second-set loss to Smith to win 7-5, 3-6, 6-1 and tie the team match 3-3. However, Ball State’s Elliott overcame Greiner in a three-set match at No. 2 singles to clinch the match win.
Ball State 4, Western Michigan 3
1. Nadin Indre (WMU) def. Ray Leonard (BSU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Patrick Elliott (BSU) def. Ruben Greiner (WMU) 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
3. Lucas Andersen (BSU) def. Andrew Cahn (WMU) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
4. Matt Hamilton (WMU) def. Austin Smith (BSU) 7-5, 3-6, 6-1
5. Patrick Downs (BSU) def. Jim Beckwith (WMU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Andrew Stutz (BSU) def. Michael Treis (WMU) 6-2, 6-4
1. Ray Leonard/Austin Smith (BSU) def. Nadin Indre/Ruben Greiner (WMU) 8-5
2. Andrew Cahn/Stephen Payne (WMU) def. Patrick Elliott/Andrew Stutz (BSU) 8-5
3. Matt Hamilton/Michael Treis (WMU) def. Matt Helm/Lucas Andersen (BSU) 8-7 (7-3)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,6,5,3,4,2)