Men's Tennis Shuts Out Hornets 7-0
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - The Western Michigan men's tennis team defeated its cross-town rival on Thursday, shutting out the Kalamazoo College Hornets by a 7-0 score at the Stowe Stadium. With the win, the Broncos improve to 12-10 overall on the season. They will play their Mid-American Conference home finale on Sunday when they host the Ball State Cardinals at 1 p.m.
Nadin Indre and Ruben Greiner were the first to strike for the Broncos during the doubles session, cruising past Branden Metzler and Alan Faber in the No. 1 doubles match. Indre and Greiner won their third match as a doubles team against the pair of Hornets, downing them 8-2 to give WMU an advantage in doubles play. Stephen Payne and Andrew Cahn made the lead stick with a win of their own, defeating Peter Rothstein and David DeSimone 8-3 in the No. 2 singles match to give the Broncos the doubles point. Matt Hamilton and Michael Treis completed the doubles sweep with an 8-5 win over Mike Korn and Alberto Ayala in the No. 3 doubles match.
Pablo Mora was the first to win in singles play for the Broncos, defeating Eric DeWitt 6-0, 6-1 in the No. 6 singles match to give WMU a 2-0 lead. Ruben Greiner snapped a modest losing streak with a straight-sets win over Rothstein, defeating him 6-1, 6-0 in the No. 2 singles match, and Matt Hamilton clinched the win with a 6-0, 6-2 win over DeSimone in the No. 4 singles match. Treis cruised to a quick win over Spencer Navarre in the NO. 5 singles match, Indre survived a second-set tiebreaker with Metzler for a 6-3, 7-6 (3) No. 1 singles win, and Cahn downed Korn 6-4, 7-5 in the No. 3 singles match.
Western Michigan 7, Kalamazoo College 0
1. Nadin Indre (WMU) def. Branden Metzler (KZOO-M) 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
2. Ruben Greiner (WMU) def. Peter Rothstein (KZOO-M) 6-1, 6-0
3. Andrew Cahn (WMU) def. Mike Korn (KZOO-M) 6-4, 7-5
4. Matt Hamilton (WMU) def. David DeSimone (KZOO-M) 6-0, 6-2
5. Michael Treis (WMU) def. Spencer Navarre (KZOO-M) 6-1, 6-2
6. Pablo Mora (WMU) def. Eric De Witt (KZOO-M) 6-0, 6-1
1. Ruben Greiner/Nadin Indre (WMU) def. Branden Metzler/Alan Faber (KZOO-M) 8-2
2. Stephen Payne/Andrew Cahn (WMU) def. Peter Rothstein/David DeSimone (KZOO-M) 8-3
3. Matt Hamilton/Michael Treis (WMU) def. Mike Korn/Alberto Ayala (KZOO-M) 8-5
Western Michigan 11-10
Kalamazoo College 9-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,2,4,5,1,3)
Tie break at #1 singles Kalamazoo 3 - Western 7