Broncos Nip Huskies for First MAC Win
The Broncos started the day by taking the first two doubles matches off the court, with the doubles pairing of Nini Sujashvili and Tracy Kuhle taking the first decision of the day. Sujashvili and Kuhle made quick work of Haley Dekkinga and Stephanie McDonald in the No. 3 doubles match, shutting them out 8-0 to take the early advantage in the doubles session. Kathleen Hawkins and Yuriko Ono clinched the doubles point with a similarly strong effort in the No. 2 match, cruising past Maria Rozo and Cristina Alvarez by an 8-2 score.
Hawkins dealt the first blow of the singles session by defeating Cristina Alvarez, using an aggressive offensive game to not allow Alvarez to settle in. Hawkins dropped just one game over the course of two sets, winning 6-1, 6-0 in the No. 2 singles match to give WMU a 2-0 lead. Kuhle wrapped up her match just a few moments later, cruising past Arantza De La Torre 6-2, 6-2, and Ono clinched the team match with a 6-2, 6-1 win over McDonald in the No. 6 singles match. Sujashvili rounded out the scoring for the Broncos by bouncing back in the No. 1 singles match against Nelle Youel, defeating her in straight sets; Sujashvili trailed 4-3 in the first set but went on to win the final nine games of the match for the win.
Western Michigan 5, Northern Illinois 2
1. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) def. Nelle Youel (NIU) 6-4, 6-0
2. Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) def. Cristina Alvarez (NIU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Haley Dekkinga (NIU) def. Caroline Aleck (WMU) 7-5, 6-3
4. Tracy Kuhle (WMU) def. Arantza De La Torre (NIU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Mary Malkin (NIU) def. Kelsey King (WMU) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-4)
6. Yuriko Ono (WMU) def. Stephanie McDonald (NIU) 6-2, 6-1
1. Arantza De La Torre/Nelle Youel (NIU) def. Caroline Aleck/Meika Ashby (WMU) 8-7 (7-5)
2. Kathleen Hawkins/Yuriko Ono (WMU) def. Maria Rozo/Cristina Alvarez (NIU) 8-2
3. Nini Sujashvili/Tracy Kuhle (WMU) def. Haley Dekkinga/Stephanie McDonald (NIU) 8-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,4,6,1,3,5