Broncos Split Doubleheader with NIU, Aquinas
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - The Western Michigan men's tennis team earned a split in its final doubleheader of the season, falling 5-2 to the Northern Illinois Huskies in the early match before defeating the Aquinas Saints 6-1 at West Hills Athletic Club on Friday. With the split, the Broncos' record moves to 11-9 on the season, 0-1 in Mid-American Conference play.
The day started with the Broncos' difficult test against the Huskies, with WMU falling behind early and attempting to rally to defeat NIU. The Huskies jumped out to a quick start, however, winning the doubles point by taking two of three matches in the session; WMU's pairing of Michael Treis and Andrew Cahn supplied the lone victory, defeating Matt Lynch and Jovan Zeljkovic 8-4 in the No. 3 doubles match.
NIU took the first three singles matches of the day to clinch the win, but the Broncos were not to be shut out in singles play; Nadin Indre notched a straight-sets win over Dor Amir in the No. 1 singles match, and Matt Hamilton picked up an impressive win over Simon Formont, rallying from a one-set deficit to win the No. 5 singles match 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (7).
The Broncos countered with a strong effort in the nightcap against the Saints, winning the first two doubles matches in the session to take a 1-0 lead. Cahn and Stephen Payne were the first to strike, defeating Kristoff Saari and Gunnar Peery 8-1 in the No. 2 doubles match. Hamilton and Treis clinched the point with a solid effort against Frankie Fischer and Fisher Sutherland, downing them 8-5 in the No. 3 match to tally the first point of the match.
Cahn finished off his singles opponent quickly as well, defeating Nik Artaev 6-3, 6-2 to give the Broncos a 2-0 lead in the match. Hamilton cruised past Sutherland in the No. 4 singles match to make it a 3-0 lead, and Indre clinched the team victory with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Aaron Hendrick in the No. 1 singles match. Treis knocked off Peery in the No. 5 singles match, winning 6-2, 6-4, and Pablo Mora rounded out the scoring by coming back from a one-set deficit to beat Fischer 5-7, 6-1, 1-0 (7).
Northern Illinois 5, Western Michigan 2
1. Nadin Indre (WMU) def. Dor Amir (NIU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Ruben Greiner (WMU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) def. Andrew Cahn (WMU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) def. Jim Beckwith (WMU) 6-3, 7-5
5. Matt Hamilton (WMU) def. Simon Formont (NIU) 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Matt Lynch (NIU) def. Michael Treis (WMU) 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
1. Dor Amir/Axel Lagerlof (NIU) def. Nadin Indre/Stephen Payne (WMU) 8-3
2. Simon Formont/Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Jim Beckwith/Ruben Greiner (WMU) 8-5
3. Michael Treis/Andrew Cahn (WMU) def. Matt Lynch/Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,4,3,1,6,5)
Western Michigan 6, Aquinas College 1
1. Nadin Indre (WMU) def. Aaron Hendrick (AQMT) 6-3, 6-1
2. Kristoff Saari (AQMT) def. Ruben Greiner (WMU) 7-6, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
3. Andrew Cahn (WMU) def. Nik Artaev (AQMT) 6-3, 6-2
4. Matt Hamilton (WMU) def. Fisher Sutherland (AQMT) 6-1, 6-1
5. Michael Treis (WMU) def. Gunnar Peery (AQMT) 6-2, 6-4
6. Pablo Mora (WMU) def. Frankie Fischer (AQMT) 5-7, 6-1, 1-0 (10-7)
1. Nadin Indre/Ruben Greiner (WMU) vs. Aaron Hendrick/Nik Artaev (AQMT) 7-7 (3-2), unfinished
2. Andrew Cahn/Stephen Payne (WMU) def. Kristoff Saari/Gunnar Peery (AQMT) 8-1
3. Matt Hamilton/Michael Treis (WMU) def. Frankie Fischer/Fisher Sutherland (AQMT) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (3,4,1,5,6,2)