Broncos Fall in Tight Match at EMU
YPSILANTI, Mich. - The Western Michigan women's tennis team pushed their opponent to the wire on Friday, but the Broncos fell just short in dropping a 4-3 decision to the Eastern Michigan Eagles at the Chippewa Club. With the loss, the Broncos fall to 11-7 overall 0-2 in Mid-American Conference play.
WMU opened the match by taking the doubles point from the Eagles, with the doubles session going down to the very last match before the Broncos clinched the point. Meika Ashby and Yuriko Ono started things off with a win, taking down the pairing of Diana Davitaia and Maria Paula Ribero 8-5 in the No. 2 doubles match. The Eagles countered by taking the No. 1 doubles match, but the pairing of Nini Sujashvili and Tracy Kuhle clinched the point with an exciting win in the No. 3 doubles match, outlasting Mariya Toncheva and Zsofia Biro for an 8-7 victory.
EMU took a 2-1 lead in the team match with wins in the Nos. 3 and 2 singles matches, but Sujashvili stopped the bleeding with a straight-sets win over Klara Supejova at No. 1. Each set was fought tooth and nail, but Sujashvili eked out the 6-4, 7-5 win over Supejova to tie the team match at 2-2. Daphne Friedrichs eked out a 7-6, 6-2 win over Kuhle to give the Eagles a 3-2 advantage, but the Broncos tied the match again thanks to a three-set victory by Caroline Aleck. Aleck survived a second-set loss to Toncheva in the No. 4 singles match to notch her fifth straight singles win, earning a 6-2, 2-6, 6-3 decision to tie the overall match at 3-3. Freshman Yuriko Ono won a second-set tiebreaker with Biro to force a decisive third set, but fell just short in her comeback attempt as Biro took the set 6-2 and the match.
Eastern Michigan 4, Western Michigan 3
1. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) def. Klara Supejova (EMU) 6-4, 7-5
2. Diana Davitaia (EMU) def. Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Nino Mebuke (EMU) def. Meika Ashby (WMU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Mariya Toncheva (EMU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
5. Daphne Friedrichs (EMU) def. Tracy Kuhle (WMU) 7-6, 6-2
6. Zsofia Biro (EMU) def. Yuriko Ono (WMU) 6-4, 6-7, 6-2
1. Nino Mebuke/Klara Supejova (EMU) def. Kathleen Hawkins/Caroline Aleck (WMU) 8-5
2. Meika Ashby/Yuriko Ono (WMU) def. Diana Davitaia/Maria Paula Ribero (EMU) 8-5
3. Nini Sujashvili/Tracy Kuhle (WMU) def. Mariya Toncheva/Zsofia Biro (EMU) 8-7
Western Michigan 11-7, 0-2 MAC
Eastern Michigan 10-6, 3-0 MAC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,2,1,5,4,6)