Broncos Edged Out By Musketeers at Home
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - The Western Michigan men's tennis team was edged in its bid to increase its winning streak to three matches, as the Broncos fell 4-3 to the visiting Xavier Musketeers at West Hills Athletic Club on Friday. With the loss, WMU falls to 6-4 on the season.
Nadin Indre went 2-0 for the Broncos on the day, helping to clinch the doubles point and winning his singles match, and freshman Matt Hamilton also recorded a singles win. However, the Musketeers took three straight singles matches in the middle of the session, clinching the win with a win at the No. 3 position.
The doubles session went the way of the Broncos, who took the first two matches and forced doubles play to finish early. Ruben Greiner and Jimmy Beckwith took an early lead and never gave it back up in defeating Brian Carman and Zach Mueck 8-4 in the No. 3 doubles match, while Indre and Stephen Payne just narrowly edged out the doubles tandem of Mesa Mei and Jimmy Roebker 8-6 to clinch the extra point.
After Xavier took the first singles point of the session to tie the score, Hamilton re-gained the lead for the Broncos with a convincing straight sets win over Jeremy Schneider; each time Hamilton recorded an early break to take the lead, and won the No. 6 singles match 6-3, 6-2. Indre rounded out the scoring for the Broncos with a comeback win over Roebker at No. 1 singles, winning the final two full sets to win 4-6, 6-1, 7-5.
Xavier 4, Western Michigan 3
1. Nadin Indre (WMU) def. Jimmy Roebker (XU) 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
2. Mesa Mei (XU) def. Ruben Greiner (WMU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Zach Mueck (XU) def. Andrew Cahn (WMU) 7-5, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Adam Krull (XU) def. Jim Beckwith (WMU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Matt Bishop (XU) def. Pablo Mora (WMU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Matt Hamilton (WMU) def. Jeremy Schneider (XU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Nadin Indre/Stephen Payne (WMU) def. Mesa Mei/Jimmy Roebker (XU) 8-6
2. Andrew Cahn/Michael Treis (WMU) vs. Matt Bishop/Adam Krull (XU) 4-7, unfinished
3. Ruben Greiner/Jim Beckwith (WMU) def. Brian Carman/Zach Mueck (XU) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (5,6,2,4,3,1)