Women's Tennis Closes Homestand With DH Sweep
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - The Western Michigan women's tennis team warpped up a successful eight-match homestand with a doubleheader sweep on Sunday, downing the Illinois-Chicago Flames 5-2 in the early match and defeating the Hillsdale College Chargers 7-0 in the nightcap. With the wins, the Broncos improve to 8-2 overall on the season, and have won five straight matches.
The Broncos were perfect 6-0 in doubles play on Sunday, sweeping the sessions against both the Flames and the Chargers, and three players went a perfect 2-0 in singles play as well; Nini Sujashvili, Kathleen Hawkins, and Tracy Kuhle all finished with 4-0 records on the day.
The doubles session against the Flames began with a convincing 6-1 win in the No. 1 match, as Hawkins and Caroline Aleck cruised past Natalia Kuvakina and Mariana Palacios. Meika Ashby and Yuriko Ono clinched the doubles point with a 6-2 decision over Jana Knoppe and Kathryn Sharples in the No. 2 doubles match, and Sujashvili and Kuhle completed the sweep with a win over Keti Mebuke and Veronica Lacerda.
WMU got its second point of the match mere moments into the singles session, when Kuvakina withdrew from her match with Hawkins due to injury just three games in. Kuhle worked her way past Lacerda 6-1, 6-3 in the No. 6 singles match to give the Broncos a 3-0 edge, and Sujashvili clinched the match win with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Palacios at No. 1. Ashby picked up the last victory of the match for the Broncos, surviving a first set tiebreaker with Sharples to win the No. 3 singles match 7-6 (5), 7-5.
The Broncos flew through the doubles session with the Chargers, taking all three matches in a matter of 30 minutes. Aleck and Sujashvili teamed up to take the first match, beating Dana Grace Buck and Lindsay Peirce 6-1 in the No. 2 doubles match, and Ono and Kuhle won the No. 3 doubles match to give the Broncos the point. Hawkins and Ashby recorded the final win of the doubles session, beating Morgan and Sydney Delp by a 6-1 score in the No. 1 singles match.
Sujashvili notched the first win in the singles session, beating Morgan Delp in the No. 1 singles match to give the Broncos a 2-1 advantage. Ono was similarly dominant in her only singles match of the day, beating Rachel Blaauw 6-1, 6-0 in the No. 6 match to make it 3-0. Kelsey King clinched the team win with a 6-0, 6-1 score in the No. 5 singles match, beating Jada Bissett to assure the Broncos' victory. Aleck dispatched of Buck 6-0, 6-3 in the No. 3 singles match, Kuhle took a tight first set with Peirce en route to a 6-4, 6-2 win, and Hawkins closed the day with a straight-sets win over Sydney Delp to finish the shutout.
Western Michigan 5, UIC Flames 2
1. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) def. Mariana Palacios (UIC) 6-4, 6-3
2. #117 Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) def. Natalia Kuvakina (UIC) 3-0, retired
3. Meika Ashby (WMU) def. Kathryn Sharples (UIC) 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
4. Jana Knoppe (UIC) def. Caroline Aleck (WMU) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
5. Keti Mebuke (UIC) def. Kelsey King (WMU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Tracy Kuhle (WMU) def. Veronica Lacerda (UIC) 6-1, 6-3
1. Caroline Aleck/Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) def. Natalia Kuvakina/Mariana Palacios (UIC) 6-1
2. Meika Ashby/Yuriko Ono (WMU) def. Jana Knoppe/Kathryn Sharples (UIC) 6-2
3. Nini Sujashvili/Tracy Kuhle (WMU) def. Keti Mebuke/Veronica Lacerda (UIC) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,6,1,5,4,3)
Western Michigan 7, Hillsdale College 0
1. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) def. Morgan Delp (HC) 6-0, 6-1
2. #117 Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) def. Sydney Delp (HC) 6-3, 6-2
3. Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Dana Grace Buck (HC) 6-0, 6-3
4. Tracy Kuhle (WMU) def. Lindsay Peirce (HC) 6-4, 6-2
5. Kelsey King (WMU) def. Jada Bissett (HC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Yuriko Ono (WMU) def. Rachel Blaauw (HC) 6-1, 6-0
1. Kathleen Hawkins/Meika Ashby (WMU) def. Morgan Delp/Sydney Delp (HC) 6-1
2. Caroline Aleck/Nini Sujashvili (WMU) def. Dana Grace Buck/Lindsay Peirce (HC) 6-1
3. Yuriko Ono/Tracy Kuhle (WMU) def. Jada Bissett/Rachel Blaauw (HC) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,6,5,3,4,2)