Women's Tennis Downs Marquette, Davenport at Home
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - The Western Michigan women's tennis team improved to 5-1 at home on the season with an impressive doubleheader sweep at West Hills Athletic Club, taking down the Marquette Golden Eagles 5-2 in the early match and beating the Davenport Panthers 6-1 in the nightcap. With the wins, the Broncos improve to 6-2 on the season.
The Broncos began the day with a 5-2 win against the Golden Eagles, starting with a doubles session sweep and taking four of six singles matches to complete the victory. Meika Ashby and Yuriko Ono started things off with a convincing win at No. 2 doubles, beating Erin Gebes and Rocio Diaz by a 6-2 score, and Kathleen Hawkins and Caroline Aleck clinched the point with a 6-2 win over Ana Pimienta and Ali Dawson in the No. 1 singles match. Nini Sujashvili and Tracy Kuhle closed out the session with a victory, beating Vanessa Foltinger and Aleeza Kanner 6-4 in the No. 3 doubles match.
Kuhle was the first singles winner off the court for the Broncos, trading set wins with Kanner in the No. 6 singles match before besting her 10-4 in a third-set tiebreaker for the three-set victory. Ashby, cruised past Ali Dawson in straight sets, winning 6-3, 6-4 in the No. 3 singles match, and Aleck shut the door on the Golden Eagles with a win in the No. 5 match. Aleck dropped the first set against Diaz but took two straight to win it, downing her 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (8). Sujashvili wrapped the match for the Broncos with a win over Pimienta in No. 1 singles, also going to a third set to win 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10).
The second match of the day was also a rousing success for the Broncos, who swept the doubles session en route to a 6-1 win over the Panthers. The pairing of Sujashvili and Ashby shut out their opponents in the No. 1 doubles match, beating Emily Spiech and Alyssa Fuentes by a 6-0 score. Hawkins and Yuriko Ono were similarly dominant in the No. 3 doubles match, downing Angelica Woods and Montserrat Elizondo 6-0, and the duo of Kuhle and Aleck completed the sweep with a 6-1 win in the No. 2 doubles match.
The Broncos were firmly in control of the singles session, with three matches ending with perfect 6-0, 6-0 scores as WMU took five of the six matches on the board. Kuhle earned her second win of the day with a 6-0, 6-0 decision over Elizondo in the No. 5 match, and her classmate Ashby notched an identical score over Spiech in the No. 2 singles match. Ono clinched the team victory with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Woods in the No. 6 singles match, and Sujashvili and Kelsey King wrapped the scoring with wins in the Nos. 1 and 4 singles matches, respectively.
Western Michigan 5, Marquette 2
1. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) def. Ana Pimienta (MU) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (12-10)
2. Erin Gebes (MU) def. Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Meika Ashby (WMU) def. Ali Dawson (MU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Vanessa Foltinger (MU) def. Kelsey King (WMU) 6-2, 7-5
5. Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Rocio Diaz (MU) 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Tracy Kuhle (WMU) def. Aleeza Kanner (MU) 6-0, 4-6, 1-0 (10-4)
1. Kathleen Hawkins/Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Ana Pimienta/Ali Dawson (MU) 6-2
2. Meika Ashby/Yuriko Ono (WMU) def. Erin Gebes/Rocio Diaz (MU) 6-2
3. Nini Sujashvili/Tracy Kuhle (WMU) def. Vanessa Foltinger/Aleeza Kanner (MU) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,3,5,4,2,1)
Western Michigan 6, Davenport 1
1. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) def. Alyssa Fuentes (DAVENPRT) 6-2, 6-0
2. Meika Ashby (WMU) def. Emily Spiech (DAVENPRT) 6-0, 6-0
3. Puck Luttikhuis (DAVENPRT) def. Caroline Aleck (WMU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Kelsey King (WMU) def. Kristi Kuzdal (DAVENPRT) 6-1, 6-0
5. Tracy Kuhle (WMU) def. Montserrat Elizondo (DAVENPRT) 6-0, 6-0
6. Yuriko Ono (WMU) def. Angelica Woods (DAVENPRT) 6-0, 6-0
1. Nini Sujashvili/Meika Ashby (WMU) def. Emily Spiech/Alyssa Fuentes (DAVENPRT) 6-0
2. Tracy Kuhle/Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Marcie Kooyers/Puck Luttikhuis (DAVENPRT) 6-1
3. Kathleen Hawkins/Yuriko Ono (WMU) def. Angelica Woods/Montserrat Elizondo (DAVENPRT) 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,2,6,1,4,3)