Broncos Fall 6-1 at #57 Indiana
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The Western Michigan men's tennis team battled for a point against their second nationally-ranked opponent of the season, but the Broncos were unable to pull closer in falling 6-1 to 57th-ranked Indiana in Bloomington on Friday. With the loss, the Broncos fall to 4-2 on the season.
Nadin Indre improved to a perfect 5-0 on the season in dual match singles, defeating the Hoosiers' Sven Lalic in straight sets for the Broncos lone singles win on the day. Lalic entered the match ranked 80th nationally in singles, but Indre improved to 2-2 on the season against nationally-ranked opponents by overcoming Lalic in a pair of tight sets. After taking a first-set tiebreaker to take the lead over Lalic, Indre overcame his opponent by going up a break on him in the second set to ultimately win the set 7-5 and the match 7-5, 7-6.
The other victory for the Broncos came from the doubles pairing of Ruben Greiner and Jimmy Beckwith, who salvaged one win in the doubles session by beating Chris Esseick and Stefan Lugonjic in No. 3 doubles. The tight match was finally decided with a tiebreaker, as the Broncos downed the Hoosiers 8-7 for the win.
Indiana clinched the match with a win in the No. 3 singles match, as Dimitrije Trasic defeated Andrew Cahn 6-3, 6-4 to seal the victory.
Indiana 6, Western Michigan 1
1. Nadin Indre (WMU) def. #80 Sven Lalic (IU) 7-6, 7-5
2. Sam Monette (IU) def. Ruben Greiner (WMU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Dimitrije Tasic (IU) def. Andrew Cahn (WMU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Daniel Bednarczyk (IU) def. Jim Beckwith (WMU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Elliott Yee (IU) def. Michael Treis (WMU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Stefan Lugonjic (IU) def. Zach Phillips (WMU) 7-5, 6-2
1. Sven Lalic/Dimitrije Tasic (IU) def. Nadin Indre/Stephen Payne (WMU) 8-5
2. Daniel Bednarczyk/Sam Monette (IU) def. Andrew Cahn/Michael Treis (WMU) 8-3
3. Ruben Greiner/Jim Beckwith (WMU) def. Chris Essick/Stefan Lugonjic (IU) 8-7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,5,3,6,4,1)