Broncos Split Doubleheader with #39 Indiana, Oakland
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - The Western Michigan women's tennis team split a doubleheader at home on Friday, falling 5-2 to the 39th-ranked Indiana Hoosiers before dominating the Oakland Golden Grizzlies for a 7-0 decision at West Hills Athletic Club. The Broncos' record on the season now stands at 4-2 overall.
The Broncos' day started with an excellent showing in the doubles session against the Hoosiers, taking two of the three matches and nearly winning the third as WMU took an early 1-0 lead on Indiana in the early match. Nini Sujashvili and Tracy Kuhle came back from an early deficit to the pair of Alecia Kauss and Shannon Murdy in the No. 3 doubles match, battling back and taking a 6-4 decision. Meika Ashby and Yuriko Ono lost a tight 7-5 decision in the No. 2 doubles match to Kayla Fujimoto and Sophie Garre to tie the session up, but Kathleen Hawkins and Caroline Aleck sealed the doubles point for the Broncos with a 7-5 win over the No. 1 doubles pairing of Carolyn Chupa and Katie Klyczek.
The Hoosiers took a 3-1 lead in the match with straight-sets wins in the Nos. 2, 6, and 4 singles matches, but the Broncos put up a resistance and had a chance to take the match late. Klyczek, ranked 73rd in the nation in singles, overcame a spirited effort from Sujashvili in a second set tiebreaker to win the No. 1 singles match 6-1, 7-6 (7) and clinch the team match. Moments later, Ashby closed out a straight sets victory of her own, downing Kauss 6-2, 6-4 in the No. 3 singles match.
The Broncos took their frustrations out on the Golden Grizzlies in the nightcap, winning all nine matches on the docket for a shutout win over Oakland. The doubles session began with another win from Sujashvili and Kuhle, who defeated Cam Sabourin and Tamara Blum 6-0 in the No. 2 doubles match. The doubles pairing of Ashby and Ono took the No. 1 doubles match literally just seconds later, beating Elizabeth Guy and Karine Celis by an identical 6-0 score. Aleck and Kelsey King rounded out the doubles session with a 6-1 win, downing Rebecca Phyle and Juliana Guevara in the No. 3 doubles match.
Ashby opened up the singles session with a quick victory over Celis in the No. 2 singles spot, beating her 6-0, 6-1 to give WMU a 2-0 lead in the match. Sujashvili defeated Tamara Blum 6-2, 6-0 in the No. 1 singles match to open the lead up to 3-0, and King clinched the match win with a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Guevara in the No. 4 singles match. Kuhle kept the momentum going with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Guy in the No. 6 singles match, and Hawkins cruised to a 6-1, 6-0 win over Phyle in the No. 3 singles match to make it a 6-0 edge. Ono closed out the evening with a comeback against Sabourin in the No. 5 singles match, bouncing back from a 6-0 loss in the first set to win 0-6, 6-3, 1-0 (6).
#39 Indiana 5, Western Michigan 2
1. #73 Katie Klyczek (IU) def. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) 6-1, 7-6 (9-7)
2. Carolyn Chupa (IU) def. #55 Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Meika Ashby (WMU) def. Alecia Kauss (IU) 6-2, 6-4
4. #86 Sophie Garre (IU) def. Kelsey King (WMU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Paula Gutierrez (IU) def. Caroline Aleck (WMU) 5-7, 7-6 (8-6), 1-0 (10-3)
6. Shannon Murdy (IU) def. Tracy Kuhle (WMU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Kathleen Hawkins/Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Carolyn Chupa/Katie Klyczek (IU) 7-5
2. Kayla Fujimoto/Sophie Garre (IU) def. Meika Ashby/Yuriko Ono (WMU) 7-5
3. Nini Sujashvili/Tracy Kuhle (WMU) def. Alecia Kauss/Shannon Murdy (IU) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,6,4,1,3,5)
Western Michigan 7, Oakland 0
1. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) def. Tamara Blum (OU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Meika Ashby (WMU) def. Karine Celis (OU) 6-0, 6-1
3. #55 Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) def. Rebecca Phyle (OU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Kelsey King (WMU) def. Juliana Guevara (OU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Yuriko Ono (WMU) def. Cam Sabourin (OU) 0-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Tracy Kuhle (WMU) def. Elizabeth Guy (OU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Meika Ashby/Yuriko Ono (WMU) def. Elizabeth Guy/Karine Celis (OU) 6-0
2. Nini Sujashvili/Tracy Kuhle (WMU) def. Cam Sabourin/Tamara Blum (OU) 6-0
3. Caroline Aleck/Kelsey King (WMU) def. Rebecca Phyle/Juliana Guevara (OU) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,1,4,6,3,5)