Broncos Perfect in Wins over UIC, Chicago State
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - The Western Michigan men's tennis team was absolutely perfect in its home doubleheader on Monday, as the Broncos defeated the Illinois-Chicago Flames and Chicago State Cougars each by identical 7-0 scores. With the wins, the Broncos improve to 3-1 on the season.
The Broncos did not drop a single match, singles or doubles, over the course of their day, and they also saw a truly balanced effort produce those wins; every single player on the roster produced a victory on Monday in either singles and doubles, and most players won in both.
WMU began the day with a 7-0 win against UIC, clinching the doubles point with wins by the duos of Nadin Indre and Stephen Payne in No. 1 singles as well as Ruben Greiner and Jimmy Beckwith in No. 3 singles, each by 6-1 scores. The final match of the doubles session proved to be the most exciting, as Andrew Cahn and Michael Treis rallied from a huge hole to catch and beat the Flames' Isaac Llovers and Eric Pontow 6-5 (4) in the No. 2 doubles match.
Indre earned the first win of the singles session for the Broncos as he worked quickly against UIC's Alexander Raa; Indre survived a first set tiebreaker with Raa before handily taking the second set 6-2. Matt Hamilton made quick qork of Nicolas Aguirre in the No. 6 singles to put the Broncos in position to clinch the match, and Treis followed shortly thereafter with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Lloveras in No. 4 singles.
The final three matches on the court were also won by Broncos, though their results were in question for much longer as all three went to third sets. Beckwith weathered a second-set comeback from Carl Hedstrom in No. 3 singles to win a third-set supertiebreaker 10-4, and Pablo Mora came back from a set down to Eric Pontow to win the No. 5 singles msatch 5-6 (5), 6-3, 1-0 (1). Cahn was the only player to go to a full third set against the Flames, beating Alan Reifer 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 in No. 2 singles.
WMU opened the nightcap against the Cougars in the same fashion as the match against the Flames, taking all three doubles matches to set the tone for the competition. Treis teamed with Marc Shideler in No. 2 doubles and got the ball rolling with a 6-1 win over Uros Pajic and Luis Ulloa, and Greiner and Beckwith clinched the point with a 6-2 win in No. 3 doubles. Indre and Payne closed the doubles session with a 6-3 win over Sergiu Muresan and Mario Noboa to keep the Broncos' perfect evening intact.
Hamilton earned his second singles win of the night to start the singles session, downing Ulloa 6-1, 6-0 in No. 5 singles to make it a 2-0 match lead for the Broncos. Treis earned his first career No. 2 singles win with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Julian Chavez, and freshman Zach Phillips clinched the match with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Rashley Yeremia in No. 6 singles. Mora took the No. 3 singles match against Pajic, Greiner came back from a 4-0 deficit in the first set against Muresan to win No. 1 singles 6-4, 6-1, and Payne closed out the night with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Noboa in No. 4 singles.
Western Michigan 7, Illinois-Chicago 0
1. Nadin Indre (WMU) def. Alexander Raa (UIC) 6-5 (7-3), 6-2
2. Andrew Cahn (WMU) def. Alan Reifer (UIC) 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
3. Jim Beckwith (WMU) def. Carl Hedstrom (UIC) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-4)
4. Michael Treis (WMU) def. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 6-3, 6-2
5. Pablo Mora (WMU) def. Eric Pontow (UIC) 5-6 (5-7), 6-3, 1-0 (10-1)
6. Matt Hamilton (WMU) def. Nicolas Aguirre (UIC) 6-2, 6-3
1. Nadin Indre/Stephen Payne (WMU) def. Alexander Raa/Carl Hedstrom (UIC) 6-1
2. Andrew Cahn/Michael Treis (WMU) def. Isaac Lloveras/Eric Pontow (UIC) 6-5 (7-4)
3. Ruben Greiner/Jim Beckwith (WMU) def. Alan Reifer/Maurizio Feoli (UIC) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,6,4,3,5,2)
Western Michigan 7, Chicago State 0
1. Ruben Greiner (WMU) def. Muresan, Sergiu (CHIST) 6-4, 6-1
2. Michael Treis (WMU) def. Chavez, Julian (CHIST) 6-1, 6-1
3. Pablo Mora (WMU) def. Pajic, Uros (CHIST) 6-2, 6-2
4. Stephen Payne (WMU) def. Noboa, Mario (CHIST) 6-4, 6-1
5. Matt Hamilton (WMU) def. Ulloa, Luis (CHIST) 6-1, 6-0
6. Zach Phillips (WMU) def. Yeremia, Rashley (CHIST) 6-0, 6-2
1. Nadin Indre/Stephen Payne (WMU) def. Muresan, Sergiu/Noboa, Mario (CHIST) 6-3
2. Michael Treis/Marc Shideler (WMU) def. Pajic, Uros/Ulloa, Luis (CHIST) 6-1
3. Ruben Greiner/Jim Beckwith (WMU) def. Chavez, Julian/Yeremia, Rashley (CHIST) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,2,6,3,1,4)