Broncos Shut Out Titans in 2014 Duals Opener
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - The Western Michigan men's tennis team authored the clean sweep in its 2014 dual match opener, taking all nine matches against the Detroit Titans at West Hills Athletic Club on Friday. With the win, the Broncos open the season 1-0.
Nadin Indre and Stephen Payne opened the doubles session by downing Jay Joshi and Chance Conley 6-2 in No. 1 singles, and the doubles point was clinched by Jim Beckwith and Ruben Greiner when they cruised past Rafael Orantes and Patryk Koscielski 6-3 in No. 3 doubles. Andrew Cahn and Michael Treis finished things off with an identical 6-3 score in No. 2 doubles, beating Bobby Cawood and Ismail Kadyrov 6-3.
Matt Hamilton took the first singles match of the day for the Broncos, winning handily against Conley 6-1, 6-1 in the No. 6 singles match. Indre earned his second win of the day with a similarly quick win, beating Koscielski 6-3, 6-1 in No. 1 singles to give the Broncos a 3-0 advantage in the overall match. Cahn clinched the match with his second win of the day, beating Joshi 6-4, 6-4 in No. 3 singles to ensure the Broncos' win.
The other three singles matches went the Broncos' way, as well, but all three remaining players faced stiff challenges in earning wins. Beckwith shut out Kadyrov in the first set of their No. 5 singles match, but needed to take a tight 7-5 tiebreaker in the second to win 6-0, 7-5 (5). Greiner also faced a second set tiebreaker, beating Cawood 6-4, 6-5 (2) in the No. 2 singles match. Treis was the last Bronco on the court, as he bounced back from a second set loss to beat Orantes 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (7).
Western Michigan 7, Detroit 0
1. Nadin Indre (WMU) def. Patryk Koscielski (DETROIT) 6-3, 6-1
2. Ruben Greiner (WMU) def. Bobby Cawood (DETROIT) 6-4, 6-5
3. Andrew Cahn (WMU) def. Jay Joshi (DETROIT) 6-4, 6-4
4. Michael Treis (WMU) def. Rafael Orantes (DETROIT) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0
5. Jim Beckwith (WMU) def. Ismail Kadyrov (DETROIT) 6-0, 6-5
6. Matt Hamilton (WMU) def. Chance Conley (DETROIT) 6-1, 6-1
1. Nadin Indre/Stephen Payne (WMU) def. Jay Joshi/Chance Conley (DETROIT) 6-2
2. Andrew Cahn/Michael Treis (WMU) def. Bobby Cawood/Ismail Kadyrov (DETROIT) 6-3
3. Jim Beckwith/Ruben Greiner (WMU) def. Rafael Orantes/Patryk Koscielski (DETROIT) 6-3
Western Michigan 1-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,1,3,5,2,4)