Broncos Edged by RedHawks
The Broncos got off to a hot start in doubles play, winning the first match on the court before narrowly falling in the other two. The RedHawks took quick control of singles play, though, taking the first three matches off the court to clinch the team victory. Kathleen Hawkins went 2-0 on the day for the Broncos, teaming with Caroline Aleck for a doubles victory and beating Christine Guerrazzi in the No. 4 singles match.
The No. 1 doubles pairing of Hawkins and Aleck snapped a modest two-match losing streak, cruising to victory to open the match. The duo opened on a 7-0 tear against Guerrazzi and Ana Rajkovic, winning the No. 1 doubles match 8-1. The RedHawks took the No. 3 doubles match to tie the session, leaving a tight match on No. 2 as all that remained. The teams traded breaks and eventually ended up on serve, but Miami eked out two straight at the end to win the match 8-6.
From there, Miami jumped out to a quick lead in singles play with a 6-1, 6-4 win at No. 2 singles. The RedHawks picked up wins at the Nos. 3 and 5 singles matches to clinch the team victory, but the Broncos continued to fight, winning two of the final three singles matches on the court to tighten the deficit. Hawkins earned her second win of the day at No. 4 singles, coming back from a 4-1 deficit in the first set to win 7-5, 6-0 over Guerrazzi. Kelsey King completed a similar comeback at No. 6 singles, storming back from an early deficit to beat Ramona Costea 7-5, 6-
Miami 5, Western Michigan University 2
Apr 12, 2013 at Kalamazoo, Mich. (West Hills Athletic Club)
1. Nimisha Mohan (MIAMI) def. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) 6-4, 7-5
2. Alix Thurman (MIAMI) def. Maggie Remynse (WMU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Christiana Raymond (MIAMI) def. Jill Pastunink (WMU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) def. Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) 7-5, 6-0
5. Ana Rajkovic (MIAMI) def. Caroline Aleck (WMU) 6-4, 6-0
6. Kelsey King (WMU) def. Ramona Costea (MIAMI) 7-5, 6-4
1. Caroline Aleck/Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) def. Ana Rajkovic/Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) 8-1
2. Nimisha Mohan/Alix Thurman (MIAMI) def. Nini Sujashvili/Maggie Remynse (WMU) 8-6
3. Ramona Costea/Christiana Raymond (MIAMI) def. Jill Pastunink/Kelsey King (WMU) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,3,5,4,1,6)