AKRON, Ohio - The Western Michigan women's tennis team battled against one of the preseason favorites in the Mid-American Conference race, but the Broncos saw their four-match win streak snapped with a 5-2 loss to the Akron Zips on Saturday afternoon. With the loss, the Broncos fall to 11-10 on the season, 4-1 in MAC play.
The Broncos opened the match with a dominant win in the No. 2 doubles match, as the pairing of Nini Sujashvili and Maggie Remynse extended their win streak as a team to four straight matches. Sujashvili and Remynse took a one-sided affair against Angelika Jogasuria and Madison Cohen, beating the Zips' duo 8-1 to give the Broncos an 8-1 lead in the doubles session. Kathleen Hawkins and Caroline Aleck fell in a tough loss to the 65th-ranked doubles team in the country in Prang Pantusart and Angelina Jogasuria, though, and the Zips took the Nos. 1 and 3 doubles matches to clinch the doubles point.
Akron quickly clinched the team match, winning the first three singles matches to reach four points, but the Broncos took two of the three remaining matches to maintain a strong showing against their conference rivals. Kathleen Hawkins won her third singles match in her last four with a convincing victory over Angelika Jogasuria, cruising a to a 6-3, 6-3 win at the No. 4 singles position. Freshman Kelsey King also won her third match in her last four trys, beating Cohen 6-3, 6-4 in the No. 6 singles match.
After two weeks of road matches, the Broncos will return home for their final three matches of the MAC regular season, starting with a weekend series against Miami and Ball State next weekend.
Akron 5, Western Michigan 2
1. (65) Prang Pantusart/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Kathleen Hawkins/Caroline Aleck (WMU) 8-5
2. Nini Sujashvili/Maggie Remynse (WMU) def. Angelika Jogasuria/Madison Cohen (Akron) 8-1
3. Ksenia Berestetska/Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Jill Pastunink/Kelsey King (WMU) 8-5
1. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) 6-2, 7-5
2. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Maggie Remynse (WMU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Jill Pastunink (WMU) 6-2, 7-5
4. Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) def. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 6-3, 6-3
5. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Caroline Aleck (WMU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Kelsey King (WMU) def. Madison Cohen (Akron) 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish:
Doubles – 2, 1, 3
Singles – 5, 2, 1, 6, 4, 3
Akron – 15-8, 3-2 MAC
Western Michigan – 11-10, 4-1 MAC