Broncos Remain Atop MAC With Win Over Bulls
The Broncos captured the important doubles point and proceeded to split the singles session with the Bulls, with senior Jill Pastunink clinching the victory for her team. Pastunink came back from a set down against Tamara Markovic in the No. 3 singles match, winning straight sets at the end to earn the 5-7, 6-4, 6-1 win. That victory clinched the fourth straight win for the Broncos, who are 4-0 in MAC play for the first time since the 2009 season.
The match began with an exciting doubles session, as the Broncos won the first two matches to clinch the extra point in the overall match. Pastunink and Kelsey King extended their MAC winning streak to four matches with a close win over Markovic and Anamaria Candanoza, winning 8-6 in the No. 3 doubles match to give the Broncos an early edge. The doubles pairing of Nini Sujashvili and Maggie Remynse was next off the court, with the duo winning a tight No. 2 doubles match over Laura Fernandez and Marta Stoyanova to clinch the doubles point.
Sujashvili would be the first to take a point in singles play, though, as Tanvi Shah withdrew from play after the first set. The Bulls cut the lead to one point with a win in the No. 5 singles match, but Remynse gave the Broncos a 3-1 edge in the match with a 6-3, 7-6 (7) win over Miranda Podlas at No. 2 singles. Buffalo tied the team match with a pair of wins at Nos. 4 and 6 singles, but Pastunink's determination to come back clinched the win for the Broncos.
Western Michigan 4, Buffalo 3
1. Miranda Podlas/Gopika Kapoor (UB) def. Kathleen Hawkins/Caroline Aleck (WMU), 8-5
2. Nini Sujashvili/Maggie Remynse (WMU) def. Laura Fernandez/Marta Stoyanova (UB), 9-7
3. Jill Pastunink/Kelsey King (WMU) def. Anamaria Candanoza/Tamara Markovic (UB), 8-6
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) def. Tanvi Shah (UB), 6-3, ret.
2. Maggie Remynse (WMU) def. Miranda Podlas (UB), 6-3, 7-6 (9-7)
3. Jill Pastunink (WMU) def. Tamara Markovic (UB), 5-7, 6-4, 6-1
4. Laura Fernandez (UB) def. Kathleen Hawkins (WMU), 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
5. Gopika Kapoor (UB) def. Caroline Aleck (WMU), 6-3, 6-1
6. Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Kelsey King (WMU), 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1,5,2,4,6,3