Broncos Dealt First MAC Loss
The teams split the six singles matches up for grabs on Friday, but the Bulls were able to clinch the doubles point to claim the slim margin of victory. The loss snaps the Broncos' eight-match win streak, which had dated back to the first week of March when they defeated DePaul at the H.E.B. Tournament of Champions.
After dropping the doubles point to the Bulls, the Broncos responded with an emotional win in No. 1 singles when Nadin Indre downed Vusa Hove. Indre survived a scare from Hove late in the first set to take control the rest of the way, cruising past him for a 6-4, 6-0 victory to tie the match. Pablo Alvarez gave the Bulls a 2-1 lead with a win at No. 4 singles, but Andrew Cahn tied it again when he beat Ashwin Sharma 6-1, 7-5 in the No. 6 singles match.
The remaining three matches went to full third sets, though, and the Bull outlasted the Broncos for the victory by taking the Nos. 2 and 3 singles matches. Pablo Mora led Sergio Arevalillo 5-1 in the third set of the No. 5 singles match, but Arevalillo retired, giving Mora the win.
Buffalo 4, Western Michigan University 3
Apr 05, 2013 at Kalamazoo, Mich. (Sorensen Courts)
1. Nadin Indre (WMU) def. Vusa Hove (UB) 6-4, 6-0
2. Damien David (UB) def. Ross VanderPloeg (WMU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
3. Sebastian Ionescu (UB) def. Aaron Wong (WMU) 7-6 (7-2), 2-6, 6-2
4. Pablo Alvarez (UB) def. Ruben Greiner (WMU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Pablo Mora (WMU) def. Sergio Arevalillo (UB) 6-3, 6-7, 5-1, retired
6. Andrew Cahn (WMU) def. Ashwin Sharma (UB) 6-1, 7-5
1. Nadin Indre/Ruben Greiner (WMU) vs. Damien David/Ashwin Sharma (UB) 4-6, unfinished
2. Akhil Mehta/Sebastian Ionescu (UB) def. Ross VanderPloeg/Stephen Payne (WMU) 8-3
3. Vusa Hove/Y.J. Shkodnik (UB) def. Jim Beckwith/Aaron Wong (WMU) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (1,4,6,2,3,5)