Broncos Extend Win Streak with Win Over Huskies
DeKALB, Ill. - The Western Michigan women's tennis team extended their win streak to three matches, as the Broncos defeated the Northern Illinois Huskies 6-1 to remain unbeaten in Mid-American Conference play. With the win, the Broncos improve to 10-9 on the season, 3-0 in MAC play.
The Broncos' 3-0 record in MAC play represents the first time since the 2009 season the team has won as many as three matches to open the conference season; that year the Broncos went 4-0 to open the conference slate. That team reached the finals of the conference tournament.
Western Michigan opened the match with a sweep in doubles play, earning wins at all three positions. Kathleen Hawkins and Caroline Aleck earned their team-leading eighth win as a doubles pairing of the season, beating Nelle Youel and Mary Malkin 8-4 in the No. 1 doubles match. Maggie Remynse and Nini Sujashvili won their third straight doubles match as a duo, beating Haley Dekkinga and Arantza De La Torre 8-4 in the No. 2 doubles match, and Jill Pastunink and Kelsey King completed the sweep with an 8-5 win over Stephanie McDonald and Cristina Alvarez.
The Broncos were nearly as dominant in singles play, winning five of six singles matches to clinch the victory. Remynse defeated Dekkinga 6-4, 6-2 in No. 2 singles play for her second straigth singles victory, while Hawkins posted her second straight singles win with a 6-0, 7-6 defeat of De La Torre. King was the third Bronco to earn her second straight singles win, beating Stephanie McDonald 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (11) at No. 6 singles.
Caroline Aleck downed Alvarez 7-5, 6-2 in the No. 5 singles match, and Jill Pastunink rouneded out the scoring for the Broncos with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Malkin.
Western Michigan University 6, Northern Illinois 1
Mar 30, 2013 at DeKalb, Ill. (NIU Tennis Courts)
1. Nelle Youel (NIU) def. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Maggie Remynse (WMU) def. Haley Dekkinga (NIU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Jill Pastunink (WMU) def. Mary Malkin (NIU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) def. Arantza De La Torre (NIU) 6-0, 7-6
5. Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Cristina Alvarez (NIU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Kelsey King (WMU) def. Stephanie McDonald (NIU) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (13-11)
1. Kathleen Hawkins/Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Nelle Youel/Mary Malkin (NIU) 8-4
2. Maggie Remynse/Nini Sujashvili (WMU) def. Haley Dekkinga/Arantza De La Torre (NIU) 8-4
3. Jill Pastunink/Kelsey King (WMU) def. Stephanie McDonald/Cristina Alvarez (NIU) 8-5