Broncos Split Doubleheader Against #14 Purdue, Oakland
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - The Western Michigan women's tennis team split its final non-conference doubleheader of the season, falling 6-1 to the #14 Purdue Boilermakers before defeating Oakland 6-1 at West Hills Athletic Club on Saturday. With the split, the Broncos' record moves to 7-7 on the season.
The Broncos bounced back from a loss to the highly-ranked Boilermakers with a victory against the Golden Grizzlies, taking the first X points of the match and sealing the win. Nini Sujashvili posted a 3-1 record on the day, including earning a pair of singles victories at the No. 1 spot. Maggie Remynse, Jill Pastunink, and Kelsey King each posted straight sets wins in the match against the Golden Grizzlies, Caroline Aleck earned a three-set victory in a super tiebreaker, and the Broncos evened their season record in the process.
Sujashvili started out the day with an impressive singles victory over Purdue's Lynda Xepoleas. The two played a pair of tight sets, but Sujashvili prevailed in beating Xepoleas 6-4, 6-4 in the No. 1 singles match. Sujashvili continued her outing with a victory in the No. 1 singles match against the Golden Grizzlies, beating Karine Celis 6-0, 6-1 to give the Broncos a 2-0 lead over the Golden Grizzlies.
Earlier, Sujashvili helped clinch the important doubles point for the Broncos, teaming with Remynse to take the No. 2 doubles match 8-0. Caroline Aleck teamed with Pastunink to beat Tamara Blum and Emily Raidt 8-6 in the No. 1 doubles match, clinching the doubles point for the Broncos.
King gave the Broncos a 3-0 lead against the Golden Grizzlies with a win in the No. 5 singles match, beating Grace Keating 6-1, 6-0. Remynse earned the clinching victory in the match, defeating Raidt 6-2, 6-2 in the No. 2 singles match, and Pastunink added to the total with a 6-0, 6-2 win in the No. 3 singles. Aleck rounded out the scoring in the win, beating Camille Sabourin 7-6, 3-6, 1-0 (2) in the No. 5 singles match.
Purdue 6, Western Michigan 1
1. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) def. Lynda Xepoleas (PUR) 6-4, 6-4
2. Mara Schmidt (PUR) def. Maggie Remynse (WMU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Daniela Vidal (PUR) def. Jill Pastunink (WMU) 6-4, 7-5
4. Bernard-Feigenbaum (PUR) def. Caroline Aleck (WMU) 6-0, retired
5. Imogen Golder (PUR) def. Kelsey King (WMU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Gisella Pere (PUR) def. Hailey Shanahan (WMU) 6-2, 7-5
1. Mara Schmidt/Bernard-Feigenbaum (PUR) def. Jill Pastunink/Caroline Aleck (WMU) 8-3
2. Lynda Xepoleas/Daniela Vidal (PUR) def. Nini Sujashvili/Maggie Remynse (WMU) 8-2
Western Michigan 6, Oakland 1
1. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) def. Karine Celis (OAKLAND) 6-0, 6-1
2. Maggie Remynse (WMU) def. Emily Raidt (OAKLAND) 6-2, 6-2
3. Jill Pastunink (WMU) def. Tamara Blum (OAKLAND) 6-0, 6-2
4. Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Camille Sabourin (OAKLAND) 7-6 (7-0), 3-6, 1-0 (10-2)
5. Kelsey King (WMU) def. Grace Keating (OAKLAND) 6-1, 6-0
6. Juliana Guevara (OAKLAND) def. Hailey Shanahan (WMU) 2-6, 6-0, 1-0 (11-9)
1. Jill Pastunink/Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Tamara Blum/Emily Raidt (OAKLAND) 8-6
2. Maggie Remynse/Nini Sujashvili (WMU) def. Karine Celis/Juliana Guevara (OAKLAND) 8-0
3. Grace Keating/Camille Sabourin (OAKLAND) def. Kelsey King/Hailey Shanahan (WMU) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,5,2,3,6,4)