Broncos Close Weekend at HEB With Win Over DePaul
The Broncos downed the Blue Demons thanks to a tiebreaker victory in the No. 2 doubles match, as well as strong singles play from throughout the line-up. Four of the six singles matches went to full third sets, but the Broncos were able to pull out three wins - two in three sets - for the win.
Ross VanderPloeg continued his strong play, earning his third singles win of the weekend with a victory over Mathias Hambach in the No. 2 singles match. VanderPloeg came back from a second set loss to dominate Hambach in the third, winning the match 6-4, 5-7, 6-2. VanderPloeg was also part of the match-clinching No. 2 doubles victory, teaming with Aaron Wong to defeat Paul John and Adam Reinhart 9-8 (3) and secure the win for the Broncos. Nadin Indre and Ruben Greiner combined for the other doubles win, beating Hambach and Jan-Willem Feilzer 8-6 in the No. 1 doubles.
Pablo Mora was also successful, earning his second singles win of the weekend at the No. 5 spot. Mora rebounded from a first set loss against John, defeating him 3-6, 6-4, 6-1. Greiner earned the only straight sets singles victory for the Broncos in the match, beating Feilzer 6-2,6-3 in the No. 4 singles match.
1. Nadin Indre (WMU) vs. Filip Dzanko (DEPAUL) 6-4, 4-6, 0-3, unf.
2. Ross VanderPloeg (WMU) def. Mathias Hambach (DEPAUL) 6-4, 5-7, 6-2
3. Sten Leusink (DEPAUL) def. Aaron Wong (WMU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Ruben Greiner (WMU) def. Jan-Willem Feilzer (DEPAUL)6-2, 6-3
5. Pablo Mora (WMU) def. Paul John (DEPAUL) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
6. Andrew Cahn (WMU) vs. Adam Reinhart (DEPAUL) 6-3, 5-7, 0-2, unf.
1. Indre/Greiner (WMU) def. Hambach/Feilzer (DEPAUL) 8-6
2. VanderPloeg/Wong (WMU) def. John/Reinhart (DEPAUL) 9-8 (3)
3. Dzanko/Leusink (DEPAUL) def. Payne/Beckwith (WMU) 8-1