Spartans Edge Broncos With 4-3 Decision
The Spartans opened up a 3-0 overall lead in the match in singles play, but the Broncos showed no quit in coming back to win the next two matches. Jill Pastunink was the first to take a point, defeating Olga Chernova 6-4, 6-3 in the No. 3 singles match. The next match off the court featured more drama but produced the same outcome, as Caroline Aleck came back from a set down against Nicole Herzog in the No. 4 singles match. Aleck kept the Broncos alive with a dominating second set, winning a tight third to take the match 4-6, 6-2, 6-4.
However, a pitched battle in the No. 2 singles match turned the way of the Spartans, as Maggie Remynse fell in a three-set nailbiter to Catherine Parenteau. Remynse took the first set of the match in a tiebreaker, but Parenteau took a second set tiebreaker to tie things up. The two traded games back and forth in the third set, but Parenteau ultimately overcame Remynse for the 6-7 (5), 7-6 (5), 6-4 win.
Kelsey King rounded out the scoring for the Broncos, battling through a pair of tiebreaker sets herself before defeating the Spartans' Emily Meyers. After splitting the first two sets with Meyers, King strung together two straight games to close the third set, completing her comeback in the No. 5 singles with a 6-7 (3), 7-6 (4), 6-4 win.
The doubles session featured tightly contested matches at the beginning, but the Spartans pulled away in the Nos. 2 and 3 matches to clinch the point and take the lead. Kelsey King and Hailey Shanahan kept pace with Emily Meyers and Julianne Gruber for the early portion of the No. 3 doubles match, staying on serve until the Spartans picked up a break to take a 5-3 lead; MSU closed out the set 8-3 to take the first doubles match from the Broncos. The pairing of Nini Sujashvili and Maggie Remynse lost by an identical score in the No. 2 doubles match to give the Spartans the 1-0 team match lead.
Michigan State 4, Western Michigan University 3
1. Marina Bohrer (MSU) def. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Catherine Parenteau (MSU) def. Maggie Remynse (WMU) 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
3. Jill Pastunink (WMU) def. Olga Chernova (MSU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Nicole Herzog (MSU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
5. Kelsey King (WMU) def. Emily Meyers (MSU) 6-7 (3-7), 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
6. Katarina Lingl (MSU) def. Hailey Shanahan (WMU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Jill Pastunink/Caroline Aleck (WMU) vs. Catherine Parenteau/Marina Bohrer (MSU) 5-6, unfinished
2. Nicole Herzog/Michaela Silesova (MSU) def. Nini Sujashvili/Maggie Remynse (WMU) 8-3
3. Emily Meyers/Julianne Gruber (MSU) def. Kelsey King/Hailey Shanahan (WMU) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,1,3,4,2,5)