Broncos Take Home Tilt with Illinois State
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - The Western Michigan men's tennis team hung on for another close shave victory, defeating the Illinois State Redbirds 4-3 at West Hills Athletic Club on Sunday. With the win, the Broncos improve to 6-3 on the season.
The Broncos took the doubles point in fairly quick fashion against the Redbirds, but the battle for the overall match wasn't decided until late in the day. Freshman Andrew Cahn delivered the deciding victory in the match, defeating Muddappa Appanervanda 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 in the No. 5 singles match to clinch the team win.
Cahn's victory was the third in a row for the Broncos, who dropped the first two singles matches of the day before winning the next three. Pablo Mora tied the match score at 2-2 with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Jacob Wilson in the No. 6 singles match, and Aaron Wong put Cahn in position to clinch the match when he came back from a one-set deficit to Jakub Eisner to win the No. 3 match 5-7, 6-1, 6-4.
The Broncos blitzed the Redbirds in the doubles session, winning the first two matches of the session and leaving the third unfinished. Nadin Indre and Ruben Greiner took the first doubles match of the day, defeating Alexander Pelaez and Erik Brunskog 8-4, and Ross VanderPloeg teamed with Jim Beckwith to beat Appanervanda and Rodrigo Oliveira 8-4 in the No. 3 doubles match.
Western Michigan University 4, Illinois State 3
Feb 10, 2013 at Kalamazoo, Mich. (West Hills Athletic Club)
1. Alexander Pelaez (ILST) def. Nadin Indre (WMU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Erik Brunskog (ILST) def. Ross VanderPloeg (WMU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
3. Aaron Wong (WMU) def. Jakub Eisner (ILST) 5-7, 6-1, 6-4
4. Rolondo Torrellas (ILST) def. Ruben Greiner (WMU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Andrew Cahn (WMU) def. M. Appanervanda (ILST) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
6. Pablo Mora (WMU) def. Jacob Wilson (ILST) 6-4, 6-4
1. Nadin Indre/Ruben Greiner (WMU) def. Alexander Pelaez/Erik Brunskog (ILST) 8-4
2. Andrew Cahn/Aaron Wong (WMU) vs. Rolondo Torrellas/Jakub Eisner (ILST) 4-5, unfinished
3. Ross VanderPloeg/Jim Beckwith (WMU) def. M. Appanervanda/Rodrigo Oliveira (ILST) 8-4
|Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (4,1,6,3,5,2)|