Article Image
Mike Cichy set up both the game-tying and game-winning goals on the night.
Courtesy: Zolton Cohen

Haar and DeKeyser Lead WMU Comeback in 3-2 Win

Courtesy: Adam Bodnar, assistant director of media relations
Release: 10/13/2012
Print RSS
KALAMAZOO -- Western Michigan netted two goals in the third period to come back and defeat St. Lawrence, 3-2, in front of 2,920 fans at Lawson Ice Arena on Saturday night.

Dan DeKeyser squared the game at 2-2 at 8:13 in the final stanza before Garrett Haar tallied the game-winning goal at 14:33 for his second goal of the weekend. Nolan LaPorte also tallied his first collegiate goal in the first period. Mike Cichy assisted on both the game-tying and the game-winning goals to earn his first two points as a Bronco. Frank Slubowski made 17 saves to earn his first victory of the season.

St. Lawrence once again took advantage of power plays, going 2-for-7 on the night and tallying four special-teams goals on the weekend. Kyle Flanagan netted both goals for SLU and Matt Weninger made 39 saves on the night.

LaPorte got the Broncos on the board early in the first period just 2:41 in. With the man advantage Luke Witkowski found the freshman forward in the slot and fired it top-shelf on Weninger’s glove side and into the net. Will Kessel also notched an assist on the first of two WMU power play goals on the night.

Flanagan squared the game at 1-1 5:13 into the second period. Justin Baker found Flanagan in the right circle on a cross-crease pass and the senior captain put it in the back of the net for his second goal on the weekend. He struck again towards the end of the second period, once again on the power play. A shot by Greg Carey was saved initially by Slubowski but Flanagan poked the puck into the net to give the Saints a 2-1 lead.

DeKeyser tied the game 2-2 midway through the third period. Cichy fired a shot on net and the rebound popped into the left circle. DeKeyser skated up and fired it into an empty net, with Weninger and several other Saints scrambling to find the puck.

Haar netted the game winner with 5:27 remaining on the power play. He took a pass from Dennis Brown just at the tip of the left circle and fired it into the top-left corner of the net for his second goal on the weekend.

WMU outshot SLU 42-19 on the night with 15 of their shots coming on six power plays.

Western Michigan continues non-conference action next Friday and Saturday when they host Canisius. Puck drop for each game is at 7:05 p.m.