Article Image
Brett Beebe nets his first goal of the season.
Courtesy: Zolton Cohen

Broncos Fall in OT Heart-Breaker 4-3

Courtesy: WMU
Release: 10/12/2012
Photo Album Print RSS
KALAMAZOO -- Western Michigan force overtime after a last minute goal by Garrett Haar but the Broncos ultimately fell to St. Lawrence, 4-3, on Friday night in front of 2,865 fans at Lawson Ice Arena.

St. Lawrence’s line of Greg Carey, Kyle Flanagan and Chris Martin combined for three goals and four assists on the night with Carey assisting on Jeremy Wick’s overtime-winner. Each of the trio had at least one goal and an assist, while Carey had two helpers. Broncos notched goals from David Killip, Brett Beebe and Garrett Haar. WMU goalie Frank Slubowski made 20 saves in the loss while his counterpart Matt Weninger made 33.

WMU went 0-for-7 on the power play despite firing off 15 of their game-high 36 shots with the man advantage. The Saints finished the night 2-for-4 with the extra man.

Carey lit the lap just 5:03 into the first period on a power play goal. Flanagan found Carey in the slot and centered the puck from behind the goal line and the junior-forward beat Slubowski on his stick side.

The Broncos responded quickly at 6:05 on a goal by Killip. Kenney Morrison threw a puck towards the net and it was deflected but Killip was there to bang it in for his first of the season. Josh Pitt also picked up an assist on the goal. The assists for Morrison and Pitt were the first points in their careers.

The Saints took the lead on another power play goal at 12:49 in the second period. Chris Martin redirected a shot by George Hughes over Slubowski’s shoulder for his first goal of the season.

Flannagan extended the Saints’ lead to 3-1 3:05 into the third period. The senior captain picked up a loose puck off the boards in the WMU end and skated into the slot and fired it past Slubowski’s glove for his first goal of the season and second point on the night.

Beebe got one back for the Broncos at 5:20. Dan DeKeyser poked the puck into SLU’s zone and Ben Warda passed it ahead to Beebe. The senior forward skated in from the left and slipped it past Weninger for his first of the season.

Haar tied it up on an extra-attacker goal with 31 seconds left to force overtime. The Broncos sent Slubowski to the bench for the extra skater and Haar wound up from the middle point and fired a low shot through traffic and into the net for his second goal of the season.

Wick’s game-winner came after Carey threw the puck of the boards in the WMU zone and it took a funny bounce out to wick in the right circle. Slubowski was caught out of position and Wick was surprised by his possession of the puck and he fired it into the net to end the game.

The two teams battle it out again on Saturday night at 7:05 p.m.