Broncos Face Road Challenges at NIU, BGSU
Thursday, October 4 // 8 p.m. ET
Broncos lead series 29-15 // Broncos 12-7 vs. Huskies on the road
Live Stats // Live Video // Live Chat
Pass and Serve - Game Notes
- This will be the 45th meeting between the Huskies and the Broncos, with WMU holding the 29-15 advantage in the all-time series; the Broncos lead in DeKalb 12-7
- This will be the 54th meeting between the Falcons and the Broncos, with WMU holding a 35-17-1 advantage in the all-time series; the Broncos lead 13-10 in Bowling Green
- WMU is 10-4 against Northern Illinois under Colleen Munson, and 7-1 against Bowling Green
- Lena Oliver needs 12 more digs to pass Katy Duffy for third on the career list at Western Michigan, and 19 more to pass Allyson Doyle for second
- Jessica Brown needs 11 kills to pass Liz Gunn for sixth on the career kills list at Western Michigan
- Jessica Brown is one of only two players in the MAC to rank in the top-10 in both kills and hitting percentage
- Jessica Brown has recorded 11+ kills in each of her last seven matches, and is averaging 3.35 kills/set in that span
- Richelle Ranney averaged 2.87 kills per set and led the Broncos with a .486 hitting percentage over her last two matches
- Ali Gossen is averaging a career-best 2.97 kills/set in 2012
- The Broncos hit .359 in wins against Toledo and Ball State last week
- The Broncos have recorded 5.5+ blocks/set in each of their last seven matches
The Western Michigan volleyball team will be back on the road after a short two-match homestand, as the Broncos get set to take on the Northern Illinois Huskies and the Bowling Green State Falcons in MAC play this weekend.
This will be the 45th meeting between the Broncos and the Huskies, with WMU holding a 29-15 advantage in the all-time series. The rivalry dates back to the 1975 season, with NIU winning the first five matches in the series before the Broncos took control. Northern Illinois has won three of the last four meetings between the teams, including a season sweep in 2011, their first since the 1998 season.
This will be the 54th meeting between the Broncos and the Falcons, with WMU holding a 35-17-1 edge in the all-time series that dates back to 1979. The Broncos were undefeated against the Falcons for the first 10 seasons of the series, and WMU has won each of the last four meetings between the teams.
Offensive Attack Among the Best
In the most recent MAC and NCAA rankings, the Broncos’ offense ranks among the very best in the nation. WMU leads the MAC in both assists and kills per set, figures that rank third and 18th in NCAA Division I, respectively.
I See the Light
The Broncos didn’t have a hard time finding open spots on the floor in last weekend’s matches against Toledo and Ball State, and the team’s hitting percentage reflected that fact. The Broncos hit .359 combined against the two teams, and of the team’s top attackers in that span - Jessica Brown, Ali Gossen, and Richelle Ranney - none hit worse than .370 in those two matches.
Making it Ranney in the MAC
Sophomore Richelle Ranney has been an efficient and dangerous offensive option since the beginning of MAC play. Ranney leadds the team with a .426 attack percentage in MAC matches this season, and ranks second on the team with an average of 2.75 kills per set in that time.
Freshman middle blocker Stephenee Yancy is averaging 0.86 blocks per set in MAC play, but in three of those contests - at Eastern Michigan, vs. Toledo, and vs. Ball State - she recorded at least one block per set. The Broncos won all three of those matches.