Broncos Cruise Past Rockets For MAC Win
"I thought it was a great team effort on our part today," said WMU head coach Betsy Kuhle. "The conditions were tough today, and to come out with a win against a good team like Toledo is very satisfying. Despite the fact that Toledo only had five players, we warned the team in practice that they weren't to be underestimated. They came out and played hard, but again, it was a total team effort for us."
The Broncos had their work cut out for them in regards to the weather, as well, as they dealt with swirling winds that were described as chaotic and unpredictable to Kuhle.
"It was kind of incredible, actually," said Kuhle. "The winds would gust, then they would stop, and then change direction. We did a great job of handling the elements, as well as a quality opponent."
The Broncos began the match by clinching the doubles point against the Rockets, when Jill Pastunink and Kathleen Hawkins defeated Chrissy Coffman and Pia Rygh 8-2 in the No. 2 doubles match. The win improved Hawkins to a team-best 25-12 record in doubles play, as well as a team-best four wins in conference doubles play.
In singles, the Broncos saw Nini Sujashvili get back on the winning track with an impressive three-set win over Kelsey Anonsen. Sujashvili split the first two sets with Anonsen before taking control in the third set, winning in a super tiebreaker by a 10-5 score. Maggie Remynse improved her team-best conference singles record to 4-2 with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Lexy Pitt in the No. 3 singles match. Maria Nivia was also victorious in singles play, tying Remynse's wins total with a 7-6 (3), 6-3 win over Rygh in the No. 2 singles match.
The Broncos will have the opportunity to clinch the third seed in the upcoming MAC Tournament when they face the Eastern Michigan Eagles on Saturday, April 21 at 1 p.m.
Western Michigan University 5, Toledo 2
1. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) def. Kelsey Anonsen (UT) 7-5, 2-6, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Maria Nivia (WMU) def. Pia Rygh (UT) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
3. Maggie Remynse (WMU) def. Lexy Pitt (UT) 6-4, 6-4
4. Chrissy Coffman (UT) def. Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Amanda Border (UT) def. Jill Pastunink (WMU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Kelsey Anonsen/Lexy Pitt (UT) def. Caroline Aleck/April Kerr (WMU) 8-6
2. Jill Pastunink/Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) def. Chrissy Coffman/Pia Rygh (UT) 8-2
3. Western Michigan wins by default