Broncos Record Shutout Win Over Hornets
Playing under the lights on Stowe Courts, the Broncos received a solid challenge from the Hornets, but were ultimately able to sweep the evening's matches with a combination of superior maneuvering and shot-making. WMU took all of the singles matches in straight sets en route to the match victory, clinched when Ross VanderPloeg won his 11th straight singles match with a win over Peter Rothstein in the No. 4 singles match.
The closest match of the night came in the No. 1 singles match, where Nadin Indre held off a first set surge from Nate Eddy to take a tiebreaker in the first set and win 7-6 (2), 6-3. That match was followed by Aaron Wong's win in No. 6 singles, a 6-0, 6-4 victory over Steve Hanselman, to close the scoring for the Broncos.
The Broncos swept doubles play, with the pairing of Wong and Pablo Olivarez starting things off with an 8-3 win in No. 2 doubles. Ross VanderPloeg and Simon Blomberg won their second straight match as a tandem, defeating Hanselman and Alan Faber 8-3 in the No. 3 match to clinch the point. Blomberg would go on to take his singles match against Mike Korn, while Olivarez would snap a modest losing streak in singles play with a win in No. 3 singles over Alex Dombos.
The other singles victory of the night came from Zeyad Montasser, who continued his hot streak with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Mark Denenfeld in the No. 2 singles match.
Western Michigan 7, Kalamazoo College 0
1. Nadin Indre (WMU) def. Nate Eddy (KZO-M) 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
2. Zeyad Montasser (WMU) def. Mark Denenfeld (KZO-M) 6-3, 6-1
3. Pablo Olivarez (WMU) def. Alex Dombos (KZO-M) 6-0, 6-3
4. Ross VanderPloeg (WMU) def. Peter Rothstein (KZO-M) 6-1, 6-2
5. Simon Blomberg (WMU) def. Mike Korn (KZO-M) 6-1, 6-0
6. Aaron Wong (WMU) def. Steve Hanselman (KZO-M) 6-0, 6-4
1. Zeyad Montasser/Nadin Indre (WMU) def. Nate Eddy/Mark Denenfeld (KZO-M) 8-5
2. Aaron Wong/Pablo Olivarez (WMU) def. Alex Dombos/Peter Rothstein (KZO-M) 8-3
3. Simon Blomberg/Ross VanderPloeg (WMU) def. Steve Hanselman/Alan Faber (KZO-M) 8-3
Western Michigan 13-11
Kalamazoo College 8-11
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,3,4,2,1,6)