Broncos Pluck Cardinals for Senior Day Win
Playing in front of their home fans for this final time this season, the Broncos avenged their loss to the Cardinals' in last year's conference tournament; the Cardinals defeated the Broncos 4-3 at Sorensen Courts en route to the championship. This time, though, the Broncos took the doubles point and five of six singles, clinching the match when Nadin Indre defeated Dalton Albertin 6-2, 7-6 (2) in the No. 1 singles match.
Indre's singles win clinched the match, but an equally important moment occurred when the Broncos took the doubles point from the Cardinals. The pairing of Aaron Wong and Pablo Olivarez had tied the doubles session for the Broncos with an 8-6 win in the No. 2 match, while the team of Ross VanderPloeg and Simon Blomberg was embroiled in a tight No. 3 match with Patrick Elliott and Andres Monroy. VanderPloeg and Blomberg overcame a slow start to bring down the Cardinals' pairing, winning the match 9-7 and the doubles point for their team.
The Broncos dropped the first match in singles play, but quickly rebounded to take a 2-1 match lead when Zeyad Montasser beat Zane Smith for his 20th singles victory of the year. Wong survived a tight match in No. 6 singles, beating Alexandre Brym 6-4, 7-5 to give the Broncos a 3-1 lead; Indre's clinching win would come just moments later. Blomberg finished off his opponent in the No. 5 singles match by coming back from one set down to win 4-6, 6-3, 6-1, and VanderPloeg notched his 10th straight singles win with a three-set tiebreaker win over Austin Smith.
Western Michigan 6, Ball State 1
1. Nadin Indre (WMU) def. Dalton Albertin (BSU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
2. Ray Leonard (BSU) def. Pablo Olivarez (WMU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Zeyad Montasser (WMU) def. Zane Smith (BSU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Ross VanderPloeg (WMU) def. Austin Smith (BSU) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)
5. Simon Blomberg (WMU) def. Patrick Elliott (BSU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
6. Aaron Wong (WMU) def. Alexandre Brym (BSU) 6-4, 7-5
1. Dalton Albertin/Ray Leonard (BSU) def. Nadin Indre/Zeyad Montasser (WMU) 9-7
2. Pablo Olivarez/Aaron Wong (WMU) def. Zane Smith/Derek Carpenter (BSU) 8-6
3. Ross VanderPloeg/Simon Blomberg (WMU) def. Patrick Elliott/Andres Monroy (BSU) 9-7
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,3,6,1,5,4)