Broncos Fall 5-2 at Buffalo
The Broncos fell behind after the doubles session but quickly pulled to within 2-1 when senior Zeyad Montasser picked up his second straight singles win to go to 2-1 in MAC play. Montasser defeated Wojciech Starakiewicz 6-3, 6-3 in the No. 3 singles match to slash Buffalo's lead to one point. Ross VanderPloeg won his eighth straight singles match in the No. 5 match, defeating the Bulls' Alex Kalinin 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (5). VanderPloeg is now tied for second on the team in singles wins with 21.
VanderPloeg was also part of the Broncos' sole doubles win of the day, teaming with Nadin Indre to beat Damien David and Vusa Hove 8-6 in the No. 1 doubles match. The team improves to 2-1 in MAC play and has a team-best 17-9 record in doubles play.
The Broncos will return to action tomorrow when they take on Binghamton.
Buffalo 5, Western Michigan 2
1. Damien David (UB) def. Nadin Indre (WMU) 7-5, 6-2
2. Vusa Hove (UB) def. Pablo Olivarez (WMU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Zeyad Montasser (WMU) def. WojciechStarakiewicz (UB) 6-3, 6-3
4. Ivan Vereshchaga (UB) def. Simon Blomberg (WMU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Ross VanderPloeg (WMU) def. Alex Kalinin (UB) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-5)
6. Y. J. Shkkodnik (UB) def. Aaron Wong (WMU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Ross VanderPloeg/Nadin Indre (WMU) def. Damien David/Vusa Hove (UB) 8-6
2. WojciechStarakiewicz/Travis Zappia (UB) def. Pablo Olivarez/Aaron Wong (WMU) 8-3
3. Alex Kalinin/Y. J. Shkkodnik (UB) def. Simon Blomberg/Zeyad Montasser (WMU) 9-8 (8-5)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,3,1,4,6,5)