Broncos Take Down Cardinals 6-1
The Broncos used a complete effort in dismantling the Cardinals, taking the doubles point and winning five of six singles matches. The Broncos won four of those singles matches in straight sets, with the middle of the line-up securing the win. Maria Nivia won her third straight singles match in conference play by defeating Kristel Sanders 6-2, 6-4 in the No. 2 singles match; that moved her into a tie with Kathleen Hawkins and Caroline Aleck for the team lead in singles wins, with 17.
Hawkins and Aleck were also victorious, though their singles wins came in much different fashion. Hawkins fought through a tight two-set victory in the No. 4 singles match, beating Ashlyn Rang 6-4, 6-4, while Aleck rallied from a one-set deficit to beat Dena Boulieris 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (8).
The Broncos took the doubles point to start the match, with the doubles pairing of Nini Sujashvili and April Kerr getting back to their winning ways with a tight 8-6 win in the No. 2 doubles match. Hawkins and Aleck also won their doubles match, beating the pair of Sanders and Lauren Pickrel 8-2 in the No. 3 doubles match.
The Broncos will be back in action tomorrow afternoon when they take on the Miami RedHawks in Oxford.
Western Michigan University 6, Ball State 1
1. Courtney Wild (BSU) def. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) 6-3, 1-6, 7-5
2. Maria Nivia (WMU) def. Kristel Sanders (BSU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Maggie Remynse (WMU) def. Kylee Johnson (BSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) def. Ashlyn Rang (BSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Jill Pastunink (WMU) def. Sarah Hebble (BSU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Dena Boulieris (BSU) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-8)
1. Courtney Wild/Ashlyn Rang (BSU) def. Maria Nivia/Jill Pastunink (WMU) 8-4
2. April Kerr/Nini Sujashvili (WMU) def. Sarah Hebble/Paola Rodriguez (BSU) 8-6
3. Kathleen Hawkins/Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Lauren Pickrel/Kristel Sande