Broncos Tripped Up 5-2 by Bulls
The Broncos dropped the doubles point with a tight loss in the No. 3 doubles, but used the momentum gained by taking two of the first three singles matches to tie the match at 2-2. Maria Nivia won her second straight singles match in MAC play, defeating Tamara Markovic 6-0, 6-4 in the No. 3 singles match. Kathleen Hawkins took control of the No. 4 singles match, downing Kira Golenko 6-2, 6-2 to tie the score.
Jill Pastunink nearly added one more point for the Broncos when she came back from a one-set deficit in the No. 5 singles match, taking the third set to a tiebreaker before falling 4-6, 6-0, 7-6 (1).
The Broncos took the first doubles match of the afternoon when Pastunink and Nivia defeated the pair of Markovic and Anamaria Candanoza 8-3 in the No. 2 match. The No. 3 pairing of Hawkins and Caroline Aleck rallied but were unable to take the clinching match, falling 9-7 and awarding the Bulls the doubles point.
The Broncos will return to action next week when they travel to Ball State and Miami for a pair of MAC matches.
Buffalo 5, Western Michigan University 2
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) 7-5, 6-1
2. Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Rachel Denny (WMU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Maria Nivia (WMU) def. Tamara Markovic (UB) 6-0, 6-4
4. Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) def. Kira Golenko (UB) 6-2, 6-2
5. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Jill Pastunink (WMU) 6-4, 0-6, 7-6 (7-1)
6. Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Caroline Aleck (WMU) 6-4, 6-3
1. Kira Golenko/Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Nini Sujashvili/April Kerr (WMU) 8-4
2. Maria Nivia/Jill Pastunink (WMU) def. Anamaria Candanoza/Tamara Markovic (UB) 8-3
3. Tanvi Shah/Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Caroline Aleck/Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) 9-7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,4,3,1,6,5)